Chapter Five - Fabrications

Helloou!

Welcome back! Hope you're enjoying the story so far because I have been enjoying myself by writing it!

See you at the end!

-Caroline

~~~

We were walking together, hand in hand, up staircases and through halls...

Still, I felt alone.

~~~

Gordon and I stood proud but remained meters away from the ridge of the rooftop to stay covert. Students here at Welton will tattle on just about anyone else's enjoyment of the 'prohibited' activities to earn more esteem from cranky staff. If we did happen to get caught up on the rooftop, we've only got one escape route back the way we came which is where a vindictive staff member would come hollering. So, we must stay secluded.

The sun was not setting yet, but that did not discourage the sky from wooing us with its brilliant light bearing down upon the tamed grass and admiral blue lake. In the water, the students were accompanied by their indisputable reflections that frolicked with them. There was a sensuous nature in which the branches of the deciduous trees stretched out from the edge of the ground yearning to kiss the surface of the lake. In their attempt, clusters of leaves made a curved enclosure that often sheltered students in their own reveries. Someday, I'd like to take my lover under a part of this as cheesy as it sounds. The lake was nirvana for many, hence it began to be called "The Fourth Pillar" - meaning, it was called "Excellence" - which is an ambiguous case. For one, it could mean escaping the heat. For another, it was the secrecy of hiding under the canopy of the branches that enabled them to smoke in peace. For the lovers, it was a sanctuary-

"Would be a bad time for Mr. Nolan to take a stroll, huh?" Gordon nattered.

Plucking me out of my trance, I glanced over to meet his sapphire eyes that beckoned me to smile. I did not.

"Oh, yeah, for sure," I replied and forced a chuckle, returning my gaze forward. The romantic sight before us could not rescue me from the unease that bit me when he stared at me. I just couldn't focus-

"Did you hear? Mr. Nolan actually wanted to teach Physics to middle school students before he was offered to be principal here. Who could've guessed?"

I couldn't help sighing. This was not the kind of conversation I'd like to be having watching over the obedient students sprout with laughter during the start of their short, short liberation from the week. It was so dreamy seeing the isolated, the silent, and the innocent all cast off their submissive nature and become the soul within themselves. It was so inspiriting... yet, all we've discussed is the weather and how wonderful he thinks the school conducts itself (which is his own personal delusion).

"Hopefully he truly wanted to work here. He's spent a good amount of time barking orders at everyone here and, well... it's coming to an end for him," I remarked.

"I mean, he's got a job that pays him much more than working as a middle school teacher could. And, he's so great at it! The orders he gives to people in the school are for an ultimate benefit. What's-her-face's feelings don't mean anything compared to the greater good of the school."

I couldn't restrain my eyebrows from pinching downward. I had felt his comment took on a hostile approach that unabashedly defended the very person I detested. Sure, his opinion is his, but it was astonishing to meet a student who actually appreciated the hardcore disciplinary focus of the school. Anyone with a hobby was appalled by the forced obedience.

Interrogation ensued. "Do you have any hobbies, Gord? You into any instruments?"

His exhalation was calm. "No, can't think of any."