Chapter Six - Fathom

Heyooo!

There is a lot of dialogue in this chapter so buckle up! I'll try to keep it entertaining!

Also, I'm feeling quite uncomfortable with this chapter because I have given you an outfit and hairstyle (and personality!) that is probably not even remotely like how most of you would prefer! I'm deeply questioning just giving the main character a name and calling it a day. Thoughts?

I mean, I could just avoid listing out outfits, hair, and personality traits but I feel that would be taking some of the imagery and development? I don't know. Comment!

See you at the end!

-Caroline

~~~

"Gord, wait," I pleaded as he started off to his room. I desired the chance.

"Let me take you out next Friday. Billiards," I propositioned.

He swiveled around to face me again. A smile stretched outwards along his face.

"Deal."

~~~

That following week soared right by, aided by my anticipatory thoughts of Gordon and I embarking on our first date. Billiards was a skill-focused game and attached with it were frequent opportunities for intimate conversation. I hoped that as Friday approached I would grow more eager. Instead, I grew concerned.

So far, Gordon Abner was a man absent of hobbies and overflowing with respect for the staff of Welton. I guess without a passion to ravenously protect, the staff seem pretty respectable. I had faith in his soul that I hadn't yet been introduced to, but I also had fear that he would languish before me as I peeled back the polite, rehearsed layer of his personality.

When that Friday arrived, I was determined to enlighten my lacking sense of confidence by dressing myself as flattering as I could while remaining casual for the pool hall. This took the form of sleek, grey, high-waist trousers with a tight, mahogany sweater tucked in. I gathered my hair into an unkempt and picturesque high ponytail and finished it all off with a simple trench coat.

Gordon's reaction to my appearance when he met up with me outside the school doors was amusing.

"Y/N! Wow, goodness!" he exclaimed and took a step back. "Is it hot today or is that just you?"

"Hi, Gordon," I stated simply after giggling lightly. I took hold of his arm courteously as we began to walk to our taxi.

Gordon was dressed handsomely too; he had on a caramel brown dress shirt with rolled up sleeves that was tucked neatly into his obsidian black trousers. Together, and at least on the outside, we seemed to be a couple. With the start of the engine, we were on our way to compete viciously for a trivial victory. In other words; flirting.

Flirting started immediately though. He kissed my hand, I nudged his shoulder. He stared intently, I stared back.

He leaned in, I matched his motion.

~

Our taxi driver halted in front of the most esteemed café I had heard of in Vermont. The fact that this was the nearest café to Welton gave it most of this praise since the students adored its ability to rescue us from our vexations regarding Hellton. Gordon insisted I wait for him to be chivalrous and jog around the taxi to open my door.

As he assisted me out of the car, it seemed almost like destiny when Charlie Dalton and I locked eye contact impeccably from where we were. Charlie was seated in the furthest table surrounded by his group of friends while I stood outside on the curb. It was beyond improbable that we would catch each other's eyes looking through the door as a stranger swung it open to scurry in - yet, we did.