Chapter Twenty-Six

The circular metal platform was away from the center of the city. Columns of water soared toward the dome's ceiling. The fluid in each doubled back upon itself with such speed that it appeared that each pillar was a solid, stationary mass that only a stray bubble betrayed. Although she had been born in Dome Scienza, she had never been given leave to witness the amazing illusion in a space sacred to humans. Towering clear crystals, each with a six sided point, stood between the water columns and added to the cold, stark beauty of the artistic arrangement. As the dome's orb began to darken, the crystals trilled with a low tone. A loud blast of air thundered down from the top of the dome, and a fireball burst into existence above them. Reflections of its flickering tongues colored the crystals and the water columns gold as it slowly descended like a leaf from a tree.

"Our daily ritual of death," Lucia said softly, as she turned and looked away.

Alessandro muttered. The equina's hands lifted up as if they had a will of their will.

When the fireball touched the platform, the crystals changed tone. Prismatic shafts of light suddenly filled the space where the flames had been and colored them all.

The spheres of the light map appeared above Paola's palms.

"The Dome of the Bound Child," Alessandro murmured.

The girl with the solid blue eyes flashed across Paola's mind, making her momentarily dizzy.

The healer touched his ring to the sphere that had brightened at his command. The energy exchanged made the strands of the equina's mane fan out. The transaction completed, the map vanished. Above them, the ceiling of Dome Scienza glittered with winter light patterns.

Turning back to face them, Lucia said, "I hoped you liked our display. It can never be captured or recorded except by our ephemeral experience of reality. Your father knew this well, Alessandro."

"I am glad I experienced it," he added with gratitude overshadowed by a sorrow he knew must come.

Paola smoothed down her mane. The beautiful columns of water quelled the equina's desire to run and escape the rigid dome that had called her to a life that was not hers to live freely.

*****

Identical escort attendants garbed in one piece garments of silver stood at the doors to an elevator within a glass tower. They beckoned to the equina to enter Stable 11. The dizzying ride up to the platform that housed her stall gave Paola a view of the glittering city.

After the attendant left, she curled up on the cold floor of her stall. She refused to allow the web of light to suspend her gently from the wall of a room that had absolutely nothing in it. It was in that moment, despite the display she had seen, that Paola realized how sterile her home dome was. How had Ercole fared with the barrenness of his accommodations at Stable 9? Did he loathe it as much as she did?

She prayed for a swift descent into sleep and a dream of Dome Pasture, thankful that she had just one more night to endure in Dome Scienza.

*****

At dawn, she and Alessandro followed Ercole back to the edge of the dome. There were no warning signs for humans. On the barren metal plain, there was nothing to attract the curious. As Ercole helped Alessandro into the carriage, the healer placed his ring against the equino's gem and spoke a word in the Old Language.

Ercole's eyes widened with knowledge. "We will get there, I promise you."

"And you may learn what finally happened to Ulisse the Black."

Neither one asked what she wanted, but she intended to follow the story until its end. She glanced at the towers of her home dome. As Ercole locked the carriage door, she thought of wise Lucia, who had played her role well. With gratitude, the equina prayed for her safety.