Chapter Thirty-Four

Although she was but ten cycles in age, the people of Dome Royale had named her their Queen, as custom dictated, at the untimely death of the previous monarch, her mother. Regina, the fifteenth of her name, sat upon a throne of malachite looking very small and very helpless, an impression that was complete in its inaccuracy. The girl straightened, her night black hair tumbling over her shoulders and down her gown of white silk laced with gold and green threads. Her rock grey eyes reflected the hardness that her training had instilled within her.

Light from the blazing dome orb streamed through the windows of colored glass that painted the small assembly in the chamber with rainbows. Regina's crystal crown set out its own blinding rays and made her light brown skin radiant in its perfection.

Ercole and Paola stood before the throne with Petronella between them. Before she was placed in Ercole's carriage, her sister librarians had dressed the woman in a shift of coarse linen and had bound her wrists and ankles with chains. One by one, they cursed her in disgust, although Annunciata had attempted to dissuade them from their treatment of one who had been made an outcast from their ranks. The little woman proved again that she was a person of enlightened temperament, one who led by example, and one who would eventually direct the librarians in her charge to expressions of compassion over hostility.

Petronella's daughter stood on the lowest marble step that led up to the throne. Regina studied the piece of vellum that Justyna had presented to her. The girl, dressed in a simple brown robe belted with coarse rope for humility, had begged Annunciata to allow her to make the trip to Dome Royale with her mother, and the new Chief Librarian had graciously given her permission. Paola considered the girl's motives. Perhaps, the queen would temper justice with mercy because the woman's daughter had submitted the written list of charges against her mother. Perhaps, that idea was a fantasy, for Petronella had not only killed Gemma, but had made Annunciata an unknowing instrument that had almost caused her demise.

The queen raised an eyebrow and frowned in disgust. She looked at the once proud librarian, who in turned kept her attention focused on her frayed slippers. "Lady Petronella of House Oro, come forth."

The librarian shuffled forward. Her chains banged against each other, their dull sound echoing pitifully. She stopped before the steps leading up to the throne, for to climb would be difficult given her binding.

"What do you have to say in your defense?" Regina asked.

The few nobles allowed in the chamber as a witness to her crimes leaned forward to hear what Petronella words would be and what secrets she might reveal.

The woman straightened and the old defiance flashed in her eyes. Her daughter tensed, knowing that this time her mother's sharp tongue would be her undoing.

"I have faithfully transmitted the Word of the Authority to Dome Royale. I have also carried out His Will as was my charge and the duty of my house for generations. I did not knowingly poison Gemma. I gave her a drink that I was told by the Authority would calm her spirit and quell her rebellion against the Sacrifice needed for the preservation of the domes. This equina was mere chattel to be disposed of for the safety of the domes." She said to her daughter, "Justyna, give Her Majesty the box. The Word will make itself known."

"If it please the Queen," Justyna said meekly.

Regina flicked a glance at the cowering young woman, no sign of pity marring her beautiful child's face. The queen nodded.

From a pocket in her garment, Justyna produced a small box made of gold and tooled with geometric shapes. She handed it to an attending noble dressed in the green and gold livery of the royal house. The young man dashed up the steps, bowed, and then, passed the box to the queen.