Day 5

Believe me or not, this Adam's Apple's poison does not exempt any man even if he is either rotting in hospital bed or in prison!

I am here in Ward 8 at Coast General hospital, on my bed at the far end of the ward. I am relaxing after the interview with my doctor, who for the tenth time had explained me how I should accept my chances of walking again were very limited. My wife who was allowed to stay on my bedside for 24/7 came with a flask filled with something I didn't know and a smile on her face.

Ward 8 was the special ward for men with bone fractures or anything to do bones. Unlike the female wards or other wards in general, had no much control or restrictions on the visiting hours. I was engrossed into thoughts of how there can be no cure for my case when she interrupted

"this is down-payment" she told me in a just low tone as she was emptying the content to our own flask. I just kept silent and watched her movements as she walked back to where she came from.

Wanyonyi was my new friend, out of several friends I made in the two weeks I had been in this hospital ward. His bed was three beds from mine, but in the opposite row of beds, but his wife was not staying with him like that one of mine. Now it was the morning visiting hour and his wife had just visited him and she is the one who made "that down-payment"

This is a throwback to the year 2000 when I was admitted in that famous hospital in the coastal region of Kenya - known to many as Magadara. This was after a deadly accident that left me with a spinal cord injury whereby none of my hands or legs could move. I depended on my wife on everything.

On the other side, my friend Wanyonyi of whom I found there had a fractured leg and it was tied on the bed with heavy iron block pulling it straight down. He could not get out of the bed and the wife, who was working with the Kenya power used to come very early in the morning to wash him and change his bedings etc.

Now here comes the problem, the Adam's 🍎 poison effect - there was this lady who used to visit him during the day and his wife had learned about it. And for your information, she was more beautiful than his wife.
My wife who was now laughing with both of them didn't come immediately after the visiting time was over, instead she walked her out and came back after sometimes to gave me those gossips as we were enjoying "the down-payment" which was a very delicious bone soup and chapatis.

"do you remember a brown lady who visits your friend during the day?" she started pointing at his direction with a gesture. I just nodded acknowledgement then she proceeded. "Imagine she is his girlfriend and his wife has found out, so she wants me to spy on him for her - something I will never do!"

She had already poured some soup into my mouth waiting for me to swallow - as she went on "I swear women are fools - what can she do to a man who is tied on bed, instead she could be happy that someone is keeping an eye on him"

I was admiring her as she feeded me with both soup and her piece of mind. I had finished chewing the piece of chapati she had put into my mouth, then she poured soup to wash down as she proceeded "you can't imagine she doesn't allow him to stay here with money, instead she stocks that thing with food staffs as though he is a school boy"

I could not bare the silence now "how come now you are not willing to do your assignment and already we have done away with your down-payment"? I asked her smiling - with a mixture of excitement of how am blessed with the best wife ever! A wife who won't mind ladies to bed sit me - and now my life seems to be at the bed or outside the house on a wheelchair.

I didn't think I would one day work again for none of my hands had shown signs of holding a pen, leave alone the odd jobs I did before the accident.

"I didn't request anything from her, neither will I regret if she won't bring them again, because I don't want to be the cause of their fighting - let the one who told her to proceed and do the whole duty" was the answer I got from her. The answer gave me hope, though I doubted if any of my girlfriends would bother to visit a man who could not even feed himself - but all in all, I was proud of her.

Pwahahahaaa.... I was mistaken to think that I was excempted. It's now almost 18 years since we left Ward 8 and I can't imagine the countless fights she has fought with ladies who fantasize with her wheelchair husband!

I was sent back to those memories by Maggie, that PTA Teacher who had taken the advantage of Eid Ul Fitr celebrations to visit me when my wife who is a journalist is busy gathering stories about the day.

She has just kissed me passionately before leaving hurriedly for the time for her to come back home is advancing! She was once warned never to be seen somewhere near me, after it was leaked that we had been having an affair.

I remember how we started as a joke and it has become unstoppable. She was curious to know if I can make love. We have done it several times since that first day and today was blocked because I was in our matrimonial bed 👙👙👙👙

Anyway, I should now stop writing these nonsense before she arrives and demand to read. I believe one day men will get redeemed from this Adam's 🍎 poisonous effects. But when will that be......!?

We will continue later when will get another free time

Don't forget to vote  and share