Gilan's History

"So tell me about this Neil person." said Will, as the four of them settled comfortably by the fire, steaming mugs of herb tea warming their cupped hands.

"MacNeil." Horace corrected him. "He's a legend."

"Oh, he's real enough," Gilan said. "I should know. I practiced under him for five years. I started when I was eleven, then, at fourteen, I was apprenticed to Halt. But he always gave me leave of absence to continue my work with the Swordmaster."

"But, why did you continue to learn the sword after you started training as a Ranger?" Horace asked.

Gilan shrugged. "Maybe people thought it was a shame to waste all that early training. I certainly wanted to continue, and my father is Sir David of Caraway Fief, so I suppose I was given some leeway in the matter."

Horace sat up a little straighter at the mention of the name. "Battlemaster David?" he said, obviously more than a little impressed. "The new supreme commander?"

Gilan nodded, smiling at the boy's enthusiasm. "That same," he agreed. Then, seeing that the twins were still in the dark, he explained further: "My father has been  appointed supreme commander of King's armies, since Lord Northolt was murdered. He commanded the cavalry at the Battle of Hackham Heath."

The twins eyes widened. "When Morgarath was defeated and driven into the mountains?" Will said.

Both Horace and Gilan nodded. Horace continued the explanation enthusiastically. 

"Sir Rodney says his coordination of the cavalry with flanking archers in the final stage of the battle is a classic of its kind. He still teaches it as an example of perfect tactics. No wonder your father was chosen to replace Lord Northolt."

Alex noticed that thee conversation had moved away from its original gambit. 

"So what did your father have to do with this MacNeil character? she asked.

"Well," Gilan said. "my father was a former pupil as well. It was only natural that MacNeil should gravitate to his Battleschool, wasn't it?"

"I suppose so." Will said.

"And it was only natural that I should come under his tutelage as soon as I could swing a sword. After all, I was the Battlemaster's son." Gilan said.

"So how was it that you became a Ranger?" Horace asked. "Weren't you accepted as a knight?"

All Rangers looked as him quizzically, somewhat amused by his assumption that a person only became a Ranger after failing to become a knight or warrior. In truth, it was only a short time since Will had felt the same was, but now he conveniently overlooked the fact. Horace became aware of the extended lull in the conversation then the looks they were giving him. All of the sudden he realized his gaffe, and tried to recover.

"I mean...you know. Well, most of us want to be knight, don't we?" He stammered. 

Alex held up a hand and replied before anyone else could. "Just stop talking. You're just embarrassing yourself even more, Horace. He meant no offense." Alex said softly.

Horace's embarrassment lessened. 

"Some people are like that. Will you used to be like that, but you aren't anymore. Gilan might have wanted to be a Ranger not a knight." Alex continued you in a soft and gentle tone.

"Actually, she is right. Remember, I grew up in the Battleschool. I may have started my training with MacNeil when I eleven, but I began my basic training around nine." Gilan said.

"That must have been wonderful." Horace said with a sigh. Surprisingly, Gilan shook his head.

"Not to me. You know what they say about distant pastures always looking greener?" he said.