Double Knife Sword Defense

"And hard. Very,very hard," Gilan told him. "Ranger knives are made by craftsmen who've perfected the art of hardening steel to an amazing degree. You'd blunt your sword edge against that, and barely leave a nick on it."

Horace pursed his lips. "Even so, you've been teaching me the idea of movement and leverage all week. There's a lot less leverage in a short blade like this."

"That's true," Gilan agreed. "So we have to find another source of leverage, don't we? And that's the shorter knife. The throwing knife."

"I don't get it." Horace and Alex chorused. Will didn't either, but he was glad the other two had admitted their ignorance. He adopted a knowing look as he waited for Gilan to explain. He should have known better. The Ranger's sharp eye missed very little.

"Well, perhaps Will could explain it for you?" Gilan said pleasantly. 

"Well...it's the....as...um...the two knife defense," he stammered. There was a long pause as Gilan said nothing, so Will added, just a little doubtfully: "Isn't it?"

"Of course it is!" Gilan replied. "Now would you care to demonstrate?" He barely paused. "I thought not. So, please, allow me." 

He took Will's saxe knife and withdrew his own throwing knife from its sheath. Then he gestured to Horace's sword with the smaller the knife. 

"Right, then," he said. "Pick up you sticker."

Horace did so, doubtfully. Gilan gestured him out to the center of the practice area, then took a ready stance. Horace did the same, sword point up.

"Now," said Gilan. "try an overhand cut at me."

"But," Horace hesitated. Gilan rolled his eyes in exasperation.

"When will you three learn?" he asked. "I know what I'm doing. Now get on with it!" 

He actually shouted the last words at Horace. The big apprentice, galvanized into action, and conditioned to instant obedience to shouted commands by his months spent on the drill field, swung his sword in a murderous overhand cut at Gilan's head.

There was a ringing clash of steel and blade stopped dead in the air. Gilan had crossed the two Ranger knives in front of it, the throwing knife supporting the saxe knife blade, and blocked the cut easily. Horace stepped back, a little surprised.

"See?" Gilan said. "The smaller knife provides the support, or the extra leverage, for the bigger weapon." He addressed these remarks to the twins mainly. Then he spoke to Horace again. "Right. Underhand cut, please."

Horace swung underhand. Again, Gilan locked the two blades and blocked the stroke.

"Now side cut,"Gilan ordered. Again, Horace swung. Again, the sword was stopped cold. 

"Getting the idea?" Gilan asked the twins. 

"Yes. What about the straight thrust?" Will asked. Gilan nodded approvingly. 

"Good question. That's a little different." He turned back to Horace. 'Incidentally, if you're even facing a man using two knives, thrusting is you safest and most effective form of attack. Now, thrust, please." 

Horace lunged with the point of his sword, his right foot leading the way in a high-stepping stamp to deliver extra momentum to the stroke. This time, Gilan used only the saxe knife to deflect the blade, sending it gliding past his body with a slither of steel.

"We can't stop this one," he instructed the twins. "So we simply deflect it. One the positive side, there's less force behind a thrust, so we can use just the saxe knife."