The Story of Salih and the Camel

The Prophet Salih was sent to the people of Thamud with the message that there was no god but Allah (The message all prophets are sent with). Before becoming a prophet and being tasked with this mission Salih was a respected member of the tribe, so when he began perching this new message the people of Thamud were shocked and thought that he was charmed or under some kind of spell.

‘’O Salih! You have been among us as a figure of good hope and we wished for you to be our chief, till this, new thing which you have brought that we leave our gods and worship your God (Allah) alone! Do you now forbid us the worship of what our fathers have worshipped? But we are really in grave doubt as to that which you invite us to monotheism." (Surah Hud 11:62)

 However, when it became evident that Salih was serious they tasked him with a challenge: Bring back a unique and huge she-camel from the mountains. So Allah granted there wish a huge she-camel came walking from the mountains. Some time later Salih gathered the people of Thamud together and reminded them of all the favors Allah had granted them. But the people of Thamud still wanted another sign: This time they wanted Allah to change a large boulder into a she-camel who was ten months pregnant. Before asking Allah to grant them this sign Salih asked them if they would believe in Allah if it was granted. They answered “Yes” so Salih asked Allah, and the sign was given.

And to the Thamud [We sent] their brother Salih. He said, "O my people, worship Allah ; you have no deity other than Him. There has come to you clear evidence from your Lord. This is the she-camel of Allah [sent] to you as a sign. So leave her to eat within Allah 's land and do not touch her with harm, lest there seize you a painful punishment. (Al- Araf 7:73)

When the camel emerged from the rock followed by its offspring a portion of the people believed but most did not. At first the people of Thamud were delighted by the camel its milk could feed a thousand people and it was blessed. However, in order to give milk the camel had to drink all the water in the well leaving none for the people and their animals, and soon the people became very angry and plotted to kill the camel. Fearing this Salih warned the people:

O my people! This she camel of Allah is a sign to you, leave her to feed on Allah's earth, and touch her not with evil lest a near torment will seize you." (Hud 11:64)

After this warning the people left the camel alone for some time hatred still in their hearts. Two rich and beautiful women from the tribe offered there hands in marriage to the person who killed the camel. With this tempting reward in place young men began plotting a plan to kill the camel. They waited for the camel to drink form the well and shot an arrow into one of its legs, the camel tried to run away but the arrow stopped it then they cut its legs off and slew it. The killers were given a hero’s welcome and great feasts were held. Salih warned the people that there punishment would come in 3 days if they did not repent. The people mocked him and asked why the punishment would not come sooner than three days.

Salih replied “Why do you hasten evil rather than good?”

He said, "O my people, why are you impatient for evil instead of good? Why do you not seek forgiveness of Allah that you may receive mercy?” They said, "We consider you a bad omen, you and those with you.” He said, "Your omen is with Allah . Rather, you are a people being tested.” And there were in the city nine family heads causing corruption in the land and not amending [its affairs]. They said, "Take a mutual oath by Allah that we will kill him by night, he and his family. Then we will say to his executor, 'We did not witness the destruction of his family, and indeed, we are truthful.' "And they planned a plan, and We planned a plan, while they perceived not. (Al-Namal 45-50)

The people plotted to kill Salih, his followers and is family but Allah warned him and they escaped, leaving the city with heavy hearts. Three days later punishment came to the people of Thamud in the form of a lightning storm and a large earthquake.

Then look how was the outcome of their plan - that We destroyed them and their people, all. So those are their houses, desolate because of the wrong they had done. Indeed in that is a sign for people who know. And We saved those who believed and used to fear Allah . (Al-Namal 51-53)

And that is the story of the Prophet Salih and the Camel.