The Story of Nuh (may Allah bless him)

The prophet Nuh is the prophet sent after Adam (may Allah bless him). The people of Nuh worshiped the images of virtuous men who were long dead; they believed that if they worshipped these idols then they would be gifted with safety and rain. Originally, the followers of these virtuous men erected the statues so that they might remember them, however after the followers passed away Iblis whispered into the ears of their children saying “did not your father’s worship these statues?” Soon many generations began worshipping the statues not knowing the original purpose of them. So Allah sent the prophet Nuh to tell them to give up worship of idols and to believe in one true god.

Indeed, We sent Noah to his people, [saying], "Warn your people before there comes to them a painful punishment.” He said, "O my people, indeed I am to you a clear warner, Worship Allah , fear Him and obey me.” (Nuh Ayah 1-3)

However, the people of Nuh did not listen to the message Nuh was preaching instead they covered their ears to the truth. Then Nuh gathered them all together and told them that if they repented then Allah would forgive them of all their sins, and grant them wealth and many children. But they still did not listen. Only the poor, weak and miserable believed. The rest started a war of words and accused Nuh of being human just as they were.

The chiefs of the disbelivers among his people said: 'We see you but a man like ourselves.' (Hud Ayah 27)

He replied that Allah sent down a human messanger because the earth was inhabited by humans not angels.

After that they left him alone and hoped that he would stop preaching and gaining followers, however they say that common people were becoming attracted to the message and that he was gaining more followers so they accused Nuh of being sent only to the weak and poor.

Nuh Replied:

"Indeed We sent Noah to his people (he said), 'I have come to you as a plain warner that you worship none but Allah, surely, I fear for you the torment of a painful Day.' The chiefs of the disbelivers among his people said, 'We see you but a man like ourselves, nor do we see any follow you but the meanest among us and they too followed you without thinking. And we do not see in you any merit above us in fact we think you are liars.'  (Hud Ayah (S) 25-27)

At this point the conflict between Nuh and his people intensified and they tried to bargain with him. They said that they could not follow a religion that included the rich and the poor, that they were too good for that.

At that Nuh Said:

"O my people! I ask of you no wealth for it, my reward is from none but Allah. I am not going to drive away those who have believed. Surely, they are going to meet their Lord, but I see that you are a people that are ignorant. O my people! Who will help me against Allah, if I drove them away? Will you not then give a thought? And I do not say to you that with me are the Treasures of Allah nor that I know the unseen, nor do I say I am an angel, and I do not say of those whom your eyes look down upon that Allah will not bestow any good on them. Allah knows what is in their inner selves (regards to Belief). In that case, I should, indeed be one of the dhalimin (wrongdoers, oppressors etc)." (Hud Ayah (S) 29-31)

After this the people of Nuh started insulting him and trying to argue with him about everything. Generation after generation of his people did not believe and the number of belivers was plummeting, through all of this Nuh was praying for his people to be guided. After Nuh had preached for 950 years Allah told him that the disbelievers would never believe.

So Nuh made a prayer to Allah: “My Lord! Leave not one of the disbelivers on the earth. If you leave them, they will mislead Your slaves and they will beget none but wicked disbelivers.” (Nuh Ayah 27)

After Nuh made this prayer Allah ordered him to start building a ark and with instructions from Allah and help from the angels the ark was soon finished. While Nuh built the Ark his people mocked him saying “Why are you building an Ark so far from the sea? Dose carpentry appeal to you more than prophet hood?”

"And construct the ship under Our Eyes and with Our Inspiration and address Me not on behalf of those who did wrong; they are surely to be drowned." (Hud Ayah 37)

"As he was constructing the ship, whenever the chiefs of his people passed by him, they made a mockery of him. He said, 'If you mock at us, so do we mock at you likewise for your mocking. And you will know who it is on whom will come a torment that will cover him with disgrace and on whom will fall a lasting torment.' (Hud Ayah(S) 38-39)

After the ark was completed Nuh sat waiting for Allah’s command, Allah told Nuh that when water began to gush from his oven then he should act. On the day that the water gushed forth from Nuh’s oven Nuh gathered all the belivers and a pair (female and male) of every animal. His wife and son stayed behind, they where disbelievers.

"So it was till then there came Our Command and the oven gushed forth (water like fountains from the earth). We said: 'Embark therein, of each kind two (male and female), and your family, except him against whom the Word has already gone forth, and those who believe.' And none believed him except a few. (Hud Ayah 40)

After the earth had been completely submerged all the water drew back and the sun started to shine again. Nuh scattered all the animals and the believers disembarked.

And that is the story of Nuh.