newt || just friends

( maze runner )

Your POV:

"Hey, Newtsters!" I ran up to Newt from behind and ruffled his dirty blonde hair. He and a couple of the other gladers were gathered in the middle of the field just talking.

"y/n!" He smiled, wrapping his left arm around me.

"Getting all the girls huh, Newt?" I heard Zart chuckle, causing me to punch his arm and cock an eyebrow.

"The greenie came by earlier being all flirty with Newt." Winston explained and crossed his arms.

"Jealous, y/n?" Zart laughed. Honestly, it did make me a bit uncomfortable. Newt and I were only friends. By that I mean only best friends. We did everything together, ever since he brought me out of the box.

"Pfft no," I shook my head and turned to Newt, pulling him away from the group a little.

"Hey wanna go get some lunch from Fry later?" I piped up, but backed down a little after seeing Newt awkwardly scratch his neck.

"I'm so sorry, y/n, I promised the greenie I'd sit with her later. If it's alright we could catch up after." Newt gave me a small sympathetic smile. I'm gonna be honest, I was a little shocked and disappointed. Not once did I never eat a meal with Newt. He's like my mother bird. He didn't even offer if I wanted to sit with them.

"Oh okay. That's fine." I gave a small smile, and by then the others that were in the glade had already gone to get their food.

-

"Could I ask you guys something?" I sighed, plopping my tray at the table where Thomas and Minho were.

"What's up, y/n?" Minho asked, taking a slurp of his soup.

"What do you guys think of the newbie?" I quickly asked the, stirring my soup awkwardly. We all looked at the table in the corner where the newbie sat, facing Newt. We could only see her back but they seemed to be having a funny conversation.

"Her? I mean she's pretty easy on the eyes. I'm sure Newt agrees." Jeff snickered, joining us at the table and sitting to my right. I rolled my eyes at his remark.

"Wow I've never seen you and Newt separated." Thomas tried to recall a moment when we were. It was true. We did everything together.

"I mean it's not like we're dating or anything. We're just friends it's not like we always have to do everything together—"
I was stopped mid-rant when Thomas interrupted.

"Y/n, are you jealous?" He asked, wiggling his eyebrows jokingly, but I could sense a hint of seriousness in his tone. I didn't answer, knowing very well I can't lie to them.

"Oh," Thomas piped down. "You are, aren't you?" I shook my head slowly.

"I've loved Newt since day one. I didn't think I'd have to tell him because I assumed he felt the same but didn't want to say anything. I guess I was wrong." I sighed.

"Hey, guys," a too familiar British voice greeted. The blonde boy sat to my left and smiled at all of us.

"Where's the newbie, Newt?" Minho asked, finishing off his soup.

"Oh, she went to get a quick second bowl of soup from Fry then back to the med-jacks." Newt explained.

"Wait Fry gives seconds?" Thomas looked up. Newt nodded.

"Yeah I didn't know either. But the newbie's got charm. She's pretty amazing isn't she?" Newt smiled in awe. I tried avoiding eye contact and I could tell the others noticed my discomfort.

"So... we gotta get back to work then," Jeff chuckled awkwardly, standing up slowly.

"Yeah... also y/n has something she'd like to say," and with that, Thomas along with Minho ran off to the glade, leaving me and Newt alone.

"Y/n? Is everything okay?" Newt turned to me, my face already red from embarrassment.

"Could we take a walk?"I asked quietly, still avoiding eye contact. Newt seemed a bit hesitant at first but then nodded in agreement.

"Er— sure. I just gotta find Noelle before the walls close. She's not really used to that yet." Noelle. So that's her name.

-

I led Newt to the deadheads, making small talk on the way. He seemed more quiet than he usually was when we talked.

"So Noelle, huh?" I started off the conversation after minutes of silence.

"Noelle's amazing," Newt smiled to himself, causing my heart to break a little. I looked up at the tall boy, and watched the corners of his eyes crinkly as he smiled, and the way the light made is flowing hair glow in the afternoon breeze.

"She's also bloody brilliant! We'd just be talking and she'd make a word play on a random object and it's hilarious." Newt added. So that must be what was so funny earlier.

"So you guys seem pretty close now," I comment as we reached the dead heads. Newt stopped us in our tracks.

"Y/n, is everything alright?" Newt furrowed his eyebrows and I felt a tear stream down my cheek. I looked away trying not to make it obvious.

"Hey hey hey, what's wrong?" He wiped the tear from my face and after that I removed his hand from my cheek.

"I... I have feelings for you, Newt," I turned so he couldn't see my face, now flooded with tears.

"Y/n, I'm so sorry. I had no idea—" he tried being sympathetic but I turned around.

"Really, Newt? You haven't noticed? I spent every second with you since I came out of the box. You were the one I went to for everything. I even tell you I love you," I practically shout, but I started to break down, with my emotions getting the best of me.

"I love you too, y/n, but I'm sorry. I don't feel the same way. I never have."

Haha that was kinda depressing slash cliche at the same time.
And wowowow this was a 1000 words
Thanks for reading! If you did read this lol
Xoxo Cali