aris || only a lab rat

(maze runner: group B)

Your POV

"Good morning," I walked up from behind and approached a boy sitting at the table. I quickly glanced over the clipboard in my hand.

Name: Aris Jones
ID: b1 - "The Partner"
Type: Immune

I then proceeded to sit across from him at the table. He was about to be sent into the maze soon, so I was going to do a brief checkup before he did so.

"Good morning, Ms. (y/l/n)," Aris said quietly. I was well known in the facility due to my young age. WCKD thought having a younger worker would make the new comers feel less worried.

Aris never looked up. He only stared at his hands which rested on the table. Aris was around my age, so it felt weird hearing someone address me as Miss.

"So..." I flipped over a page of my clipboard to review what we needed to discuss. "Are you aware of your schedule tomorrow?" I asked him, looking up.

"Yes, Ms. (y/l/n)," he nodded, his voice a little louder than before. I nodded too and he looked up. Aris had these mesmerizing blue eyes. It's a shame he always looks down, hiding them from others.

"Aris, we're basically the same age. You can just call me y/n," I gave him a small smile. He looked up again and I could sense his tension relaxing.

"Why are you so nice to me?" He asked, not in a rude tone, just more of a curious tone. He sat up a little bit more as I spoke.

"I guess I just don't want you to feel out of place. I want you to know you can come to me for anything at all. WCKD is good and I want to be able to prove that," I explained. It really was true.

I know what it feels like to be out of place in a world like this. WCKD took me after my mom, dad, and sister all had the Flare. This was only a few weeks ago.

It was painful for me and I vowed to do everything in my power to make sure no kid feels the hurt I did.

"Usually the doctors call me b1 or nothing at all," he shrugged. I hated that. They treat these kids like they don't have feelings. "You're the first person I've had an actually conversation with, honestly," he chuckled.

I laughed. "Well if it means anything to you, I'm really enjoying this conversation so far," I smiled. He went silent for a second and I could tell I might've embarrassed or flattered him.

"I know I'm leaving tomorrow," Aris sighed, "but now because of you I don't want to leave." My heart fluttered at his words. Hearing that I made a difference for him really made me feel good.

Aris too, made me feel something I haven't felt in a long time. Some sort of happiness and hope that I had lost to the Flare.

We weren't allowed to get too attached to the subjects because they were only "lab rats" to us.

"Aris, I don't want you to leave either," I put a hand on top of his hands which were still laying on the table. "But I hope that one day we'll see each other again," I told him genuinely. I knew this boy I had just met today would mean so much to me for the rest of my life.

Just then, the door slid open and Janson walked in.

"Y/n, the girl going to group A is expecting you now," he informed me.

"Oh- uh, yes," I checked my clipboard. "Excuse us for one moment, please," I told him. Hanson hesitantly looked at me, but nodded and walked out.

"Is this the last time I'm going to see you, y/n?" Aria stood up, a worried expression sprawled on his face.

"Not quite," I said in a hush tone. There was a camera in the corner of the room and I didn't want it eves dropping on my plan. "Tonight I'm going to visit your room right after curfew and we can pick up our conversation from there," I assured a smile.

His blue eyes lit up and he nodded. I walked him out of the room and Janson met us outside.

"Shall we go?" He asked me. I nodded and walked away with him. I looked back at Aris, only to see him being escorted away by a doctor and guard.

I'll see you again, Aris.

Awww def part 2 :)
Xoxo calista