Chapter 1 Dad

Haley's POV

" Crap", I muttered as I run towards the car carrying two plastic bags full of groceries. The rain began to fall. It's almost 3 weeks since I arrived here in Greece. I have to take care Dad. He was discharged from the hospital a day ago after his heart operation. He's at home now waiting his full recovery. I hired a nurse to watch over him. I dropped the plastic bags at the back of the car and quickly deposited myself on the driver's seat. I started maneuvering the car when my phone rang.

" Hello Tristan " I said after pressing the answer button.

" Hi sweetie, how are you?". My muscles relaxed hearing his voice. It's been a week since we communicate. Tristan is my 3 months boyfriend. But we know each other almost 2 years now. He's a model base in New York where I also live and work as a fashion designer in my own clothing line, the Fabrics&Laces New York.

" Still adjusting the life here in Greece", I answered sighing.

" Sorry to hear that sweetie. Would you like me to be there? My photo shoot will be over the next day", he uttered.

" Oh,no Tris. I'm fine. Besides I can't be a good host if you're coming. I still have lot of things to work on, specially dad's case", I told him. I tensed when I remembered what happened at Mr. Finn's office. I felt guilty about it. Although I've been telling myself several times that it was unexpected but the point was that I gave in to his advances. He awaken something in me that I even never felt with Tristan.

" Can I call you later Tris, I'm driving right now", I told him. As of now I need to focus on my Dad's welfare. My own personal issue is the least of my concern.

" Sure ! Hear from you later sweetie. Bye, I love you", he uttered heartily.

" Yeah, bye". My car halted in our parking. I saw Beth, dad's nurse waiting for me at the front door.

" I'm glad you're already here Haley. Your dad is looking for you". She announced while helping me with the groceries.

" Thank you Beth. Can you please bring this to the kitchen?" I asked her and proceeded to Dad's room. It was very quiet when I entered. I met his gaze and smiled at him lovingly.

" Dad, how are you feeling today?" I mumbled while seating close to him. I always felt like crying everytime I see him on that situation. I have regrets of letting him live here for almost 5 years while I'm busy reaching my dreams. He's all I've got after mom died in a car accident 4 years ago.
Basically, our family lives in New York. Just moved here for Dad's job. I remembered asking dad to stay with me in New York since my career is doing good. That was after mom died. But he refused, saying he love his job here. I thought everything will be okay until I heard he's in the hospital and the CEO of Finn Hotel was filing charges against him. I don't know what to do for that matter. I don't want him to suffer. Guilty or not, he is still my Dad, a good father to me eversince.

"I'm fine Haley. How about you?" He spoke like a whisper. He's still weak, just started gaining strength.

" I'm great dad, as long as you're with me ", I uttered happily trying to conceal the ache inside me. I wanted him to see me strong.

" Thank you baby. I'm sorry for the mess that I've done". I felt a pinched in my heart seeing him pained, tears started flowing on his cheeks.

" No dad, don't be sorry, everything will be alright". I pacified him, drying his tears.

"I love you Dad and I'll do everything for you, always remember that". I was biting my lip to stop the tears that started forming in my eyes.

"I love you too baby. Always remember this, Dad will stay strong because you're here with me". It was a torture seeing him so vulnerable.

" Stop thinking too much dad. It's bad for you. From now on, focus on how you get well then you will be living with me", I smiled melancholy. "You rest now dad. I'll be outside preparing your favorite soup". I told him in a lighter mood and kiss his forehead.

" Baby". I turned to him when I heard his voice. "I did not steal the hotel's money. I suffered depression after your mom's death. I became alcoholic but I can't do stealing",he uttered. My body stilled hearing his revelation."If not him, who did?"

" I believe you Dad", I told him smiling before I went out. I broke down the moment I closed his door. Tears began to damp my face. Feeling so vulnerable and clueless of what to do. I believe my dad but how can I depend him in court if all the evidences were pointing at him. I already consulted it to a lawyer. All bank withdrawals had his signature, not tampered. I poured out all the pain until I felt numb. I went to my room and showered. I looked my watch, still one in the afternoon. I still have time.

"Marissa", I was calling our neighbour that serves as dad's helper.

"Can you please prepare a Cream of Brocolli soup for dad? I'll be back before he wakes up", I asked her.

" Sure dear, you take care". She replied as I walked to my car.

" Thank you". I shouted as I started the engine. I made a decision. " It's what I think is good for Dad".