Chapter 2

Debbie typed rapidly on her laptop, while occasionally threw a glance at the bar across the street. Sitting under the shade on the patio, she had an unobstructed view toward it. Danny called last night, giving the same old bullshit reason of why he didn't show up at the bar. She was sick of hearing it, but he was still her brother.

"Let's reschedule to tomorrow morning," he proposed. 

"Oh, I don't know, Danny," Debbie sighed. "I already have plans."

"All day long? Come on, Deb. My treat. We haven't seen each other for too long." 

"And whose fault is that," Debbie muttered.

"So, what do you say? Two-ish? A perfect time for an early martini," he persisted.

"Fine," she relented. "You better show up this time."

Debbie instinctively knew that Danny would show up this time, but she still took precautionary measures. They had agreed to meet at one of their favorite bars, but she waited at the cafe across of it. She also brought her laptop with her, in case Danny was a no-show again. At least she would have something to do then. She needed to do some research for her next mission anyway. Debbie was still brainstorming about what she would do, sorting through her options. It had to be expensive enough to make it worth the trouble. Doable. Exciting. Because lately, it was becoming more than just a job. She felt like those works were her own form of art. 

Debbie saw a familiar figure walking toward the bar. She watched the form with interest, waiting for it to turn a little so she could look at the face. She took a sip from her cup. The guy swept his gaze around the bar as if looking for someone. There he is, Debbie clicked her tongue in satisfaction. Fifteen minutes late, as usual, Danny Ocean finally showed his face. Her brother took their usual spot in the bar, a table for two tucked in a cozy corner. Bet he ordered his usual drink, she smirked. For a criminal mastermind, her brother was unusually predictable.

"Let's give him a little taste of his own medicine."

Debbie decided that she would only come into the bar until Danny had checked his watch three times. Impatient as he was, it usually took about a half hour or so. Not as long as she would've liked, but an appropriate punishment nevertheless. She continued to browse happily on her laptop while checking on him occasionally. That's one, she remarked and checked on her laptop's clock, ten minutes. Danny ordered another glass. Debbie shifted her attention back to the screen. Then her phone rang.

"Hey, sis," Danny greeted, sounded slightly amused. "How long do you plan to camp at the cafe? I'm about to order some steak. Would you like some?"

"Wait, you knew?" Debbie bristled, which only made her brother chuckled.

"Yeah. Caught a glimpse of you behind those bushy planters. Nice cover, by the way."

"Geez," she cursed under her breath. "This is so weird. Why can't we meet like normal siblings?"

"Well, you the one who started it," Danny pointed out, still chuckling.

"Yeah, yeah. See you in a min. Oh, and I want those steaks."

***

Ten minutes later, Debbie had seated comfortably across Danny. Right on time for her steak. Both famished, they only slipped a few words in between a mouthful. They used to be really close, so the silence was not even a little bit awkward. Danny shared his latest shenanigan with Rusty as they ate. They tried to swap an expensive painting with its imitation, while the painting was on a temporary exhibition. But there had been a miscommunication with the fabricator as he came up with a different painting with a similar title.