|3| Loopholes

Snow crunched under her boots as Kimari made her way through the forest back towards her house. It was still getting dark quite early, since it was only the beginning of January, but instead of rushing home she was taking her time. She was actually quite reluctant to return to the warm cosy cottage that both her and Jo called home. There was a good reason for that, though. Thanks to her little fight yesterday, Jo had explicitly told her not to take one step out of the door – which was why Kimari had gone out through the window.

Jo wouldn't be impressed.

Kimari knew that much, at least. Lost in thought, she wandered towards the edge of the little village of Linacre, pausing when a shadow detached itself from the trees. Her hand fell to the dagger strapped to her belt out of instinct, her brown eyes narrowing on the dark figure, relaxing when she realised it was only Riko.

"Jo's angry," he said. "I'm guessing that it's got something to do with the fact that she told you not to go outside."

"Actually, her exact words were: Don't you dare take one step outside that door." Kimari smirked.

Riko's shoulders sunk. He knew her far too well. "You went out the window, didn't you?"

"Of course." She grinned, absolutely loving the thrill of outsmarting Jo, no matter how much she'd get scolded when she was caught. It was totally worth it.

"You probably should've listened to the implied meaning behind those words." Riko sighed, tired of her antics already. He was strangely similar to a crabby old man in that respect, all he was missing was the cane to whack her over the head with. There was no doubt he got the urge to hit her from time to time, though luckily for her when that happened the only thing nearby tended to be a pillow. "She's got me and the airheads out looking for you."

"I suppose I should be glad that you found me first, then."

"Of course I did." He shoved his hands in his pockets. "I knew you'd head out to find that pack of wolves that you always hang out with."

"My pack, actually." She folded her arms, daring him to contest her claim. There weren't many things she was possessive over, but this was one of them. She led those wolves, looked after them, and they were hers.

Anyone else who tried to claim them as their own would be fought with tooth, claw and Kimari's fist.

"Whatever you say, Kim," he mumbled, apparently knowing better than to rile her up. She wasn't particularly reasonable when it came to wolves. She acted far too much like one whenever the problem was brought up. That and her protective instincts were off the charts. "Whatever you say..." he trailed off, stiffening as the bushes next to him rustled.

A wolf emerged from the shrubbery, tall enough to reach his waist, and Riko leapt back. He hid behind Kimari, who was far too accustomed to his reaction to all things wolfish. "Relax, Riko. It's only Maya," she said, bending down to greet the sleek white-furred wolf who snapped her teeth in greeting.

Riko turned a shade paler, evidently transfixed by the sight of Maya's sharp white fangs. "It's a gigantic wolf that could tear my throat out in ten seconds!" he muttered, keeping his eyes fixed on the animal, dark brown clashing with an eerie grey as the wolf met his stare head on.

"More like five seconds," the teasing voice made Kimari smirk.

"What are you grinning about?" Riko asked, staring between her and the wolf.

He couldn't hear Maya's voice, unlike her. Of course he couldn't. In fact, aside from Kimari, no one else in the village could. They couldn't talk to wolves telepathically or otherwise, and she liked it. It made her different, and she liked being different.