|5| Alpha

Kimari blinked, staring at the scene around her blankly, feeling oddly disjointed. Something was wrong, and she soon figured out what just as the last dregs of Maya's silvery magic were chased out of her system.

"Hey, kiddo..." Blaine waved a hand in front of her face, his concerned gaze finding hers as she glanced at him in confusion, her head pounding, her eyes oddly sore as she tried to work out why the window was whole again. "Are you okay?"

"She's spacing out."

Everything was exactly as it had been a few minutes ago. The thought sent shivers down her spine. What could cause everything to go back to the way it was? "I'm fine..." she said, her eyebrows knotting together in confusion as she scrambled to put the pieces together, "but I could really use a good mug of tea."

"I'll get you one," Blaine said, taking a step towards the kitchen, ending up directly in front of the window, and Kimari knew whatever she'd seen before hadn't been a coincidence.

She leapt forwards as quickly as she could, hands outstretched, slamming into his back as glass broke and pain lanced through her arm, all the while cursing her inability to remain uninjured. How many times had Jo told her she was a literal magnet for danger? That much could be proven by her exact situation. Sharp white fangs were buried in her skin instead of Blaine's. Bone crunched, a small whimper escaping her lips at the unfamiliar angle her arm flopped to when the jaws clamped around it loosened their hold.

It was rather painful to say the least.

Her lips pulled back, baring her teeth as she snarled. The damned hellhound had already found her, and it hadn't even been five minutes.

To be honest, she'd thought her stealth skills were somewhat better than that, but evidently she was wrong. Another thing added to the list of things she really needed to learn once she got to Kasari.

"Get off!" Fury raced through her, anger tinting her vision as she stared down the creature who'd dared to maul her arm. One of her eyes were grey, almost as pale as Maya's, in the reflection of the mirror opposite her and that same sound rattled through her brain.

The sound of chains clinking.

"You mangy mutt," she hissed, teeth bared, a rage she'd never felt before coursing through her veins as her arm was released from the bloodied fangs. She cradled it to her chest, wincing when she finally saw the extent of what the blasted hellhound had done. He'd broken her arm, and he'd done it right before she was scheduled to go trekking through a damn forest with dangerous cliffs, rivers, and the like.

Joy.

She shivered, her head aching, an odd lethargy slinking through her. Never before had she wanted to nap as much in an instance as she did in that one. But she couldn't. She wouldn't. She was smack bang in the middle of a fight – one she'd started, and one she'd sure as hell end.

"Get back, brat."

Kimari snarled.

"Reign in your idiotic instincts and get over here, stupid brat," the Drama Queen hissed. "This is beyond you."

"Kid, get back," Isobel called, magic pulsing in the centre of her palms, the embers of a flame sparking to life in her hands. "You have no idea what that thing is capable of."

"This is my home—"

"Which is why I'm telling you to get your idiotic... butt over here," he snapped, glaring at her from underneath his hood.

"But I—" She froze, her mouth dry, the hairs on the back of her neck pricking as she stared at the scene in front of her. The air was almost crackling with tension, and everyone aside from her was armed to the teeth. Maybe it was better to leave it to the professionals, the thought flitted across her mind and she bit her lip before shaking her head.