4

Sandstorm padded into camp, a rabbit clamped in between her jaws as she looked around for Fireheart, ready to share the victory of her hunt with him. But instead Dustpelt came to meet her, a look in his eyes that somewhat unsettled Sandstorm.

"Dustpelt? Have you seen Fireheart?"

"Sandstorm." Dustpelt greeted in a curt manner, ignoring the other question. She frowned.

"Is there something wrong?" She asked, dropping the rabbit onto the fresh-kill pile, turning to face him properly.

He continued to look at her for a while without saying anything, then cocked his head to one side, studying her. "You've changed since you met Fireheart."

"What?" Sandstorm looked at him, slightly offended. "Dustpelt, snap out of it. I haven't changed - not for anyone, and certainly not by him."

"Really? Then explain to me why you've been looking at me like you don't know me - like we're not best friends. And explain to me why you always look for Fireheart. He's a kittypet for StarClan's sake." Dustpelt snarled.

Sandstorm narrowed her eyes. "Dustpelt, you're still my best friend. And Fireheart's just my Clanmate. I don't see anything wrong with being a kittypet either, as long as he has the heart of a warrior, it doesn't matter."

Dustpelt dug his claws into the ground. "Maybe he's becoming more than a Clanmate." Jealousy flashed through his eyes. "We used to hate him - both of us, united together. But what happened, Sandstorm?" Disgust flitted across his eyes for a moment before he stalked away without waiting for an answer.

Sandstorm felt a stab of sadness as she watched her best friend walk away in anger. Like he was abandoning her. But deep inside, she knew he was right. Unwanted feelings for Fireheart was already forming.

Sighing, Sandstorm headed for the camp entrance to go on another hunt, wanting to clear her mind when her gaze met Tigerclaw's. His amber eyes were thoughtful, as though he were plotting something. No doubt he had heard the whole exchange.

Shivering in an invisibly cold wind, Sandstorm left quickly, breaking their gaze.

***

Fireheart purred, flicking his tail over Cinderpaw's ear. "Don't be silly, Cinderpaw. There are no blue squirrels in the forest."

"It may be possible, you just haven't seen it yet." Cinderpaw purred in amusement, bumping against her mentor's shoulder playfully. "You haven't seen many things."

Fireheart pretended to look insulted. "Like you have."

"Besides, if Bluestar can be a blue-gray colour, why can't squirrels?"

Graystripe rolled his eyes. "Can we just finish the patrol? It'll soon be sunset if we continue at this pace." He bounded ahead, but when Cinderpaw caught sight of the frozen river, she sprinted on ahead of him, letting out a squeal in excitement.

Brackenpaw, Fireheart, and Graystripe ran after her, stopping right at the edge. Brackenpaw gaped in awe at the frozen iciness of the river. Cautiously he laid a paw on the river, but it gave off an eerie creaking sound that made him draw his paw back rather hastily. "Coward," Cinderpaw teased.

Graystripe pricked his ears at the sound of scuffling. "A vole!"

Fireheart looked his way, spotting the grey animal snuffling in between the plants growing near the frozen river. Graystripe was already heading towards it. He crouched, pinpointing the position of the vole. Just as he leapt, Brackenpaw and Cinderpaw rolled over in a tussle, knocking him out of position.