6

"Where's Bluestar?" Fireheart turned to Whitestorm, puzzled.

"I heard she has greencough. I wanted to see her earlier, but Yellowfang doesn't allow anyone near her." Whitestorm replied, his eyes filled with worry.

Cinderpaw, who was standing next to Fireheart, butted into the conversation. "Fireheart, why hasn't Graystripe been taking Brackenpaw out for training these past few days?"

Alarmed, Fireheart glanced at Whitestorm. He looked puzzled, but didn't prod into it. He dipped his head and left politely, allowing Fireheart to talk to his apprentice. "Well..." Fireheart fumbled for the right words while deep inside irritation started growing in him. Why was Graystripe so irresponsible? "That's because he's been feeling a bit sick lately. I... I'll be training Brackenpaw in his absence."

Cinderpaw hesitated, then nodded. Fireheart felt a deep sense of relief, then caught sight of Yellowfang padding out of the medicine den to the fresh-kill pile. "Cinderpaw, training will have to be delayed for today. I want you to go hunting with Brackenpaw and bring back as much prey as you can."

Cinderpaw cocked her head. "Why?"

Fireheart sighed. "Because I need to see how Bluestar is doing." When Cinderpaw left, Fireheart headed over to Yellowfang. "How's Bluestar?"

Yellowfang looked up, her gaze wary. "She's still holding up."

"Is there any way I can help?"

Yellowfang hesitated, then nodded slowly. "I'm running low on catmint. Can you help me get some?"

"Sure." Fireheart headed to the camp entrance, but just then the gorse bushes rustled and Dustpelt rushed in, breathing heavily. He looked frightened, as though he'd just seen a badger. Fireheart paused, wondering what had made him so ruffled up.

"Fireheart! Where's Bluestar? Tigerclaw wants her to come and see proof of ShadowClan prey-stealing." Dustpelt's eyes landed on Fireheart, and hostility rose in them as soon as he saw that it was Fireheart.

"Bluestar's sick with greencough. She can't come."

Dustpelt snapped, "She has to. Tigerclaw said this was urgent."

Fireheart looked at Dustpelt, doubt starting to rise as he saw the warrior's body shaking. Whether it was out of fear or tension, Fireheart didn't know. "I'll go if it's so urgent." He couldn't trust what Tigerclaw was saying, and it was obvious he had done something to Dustpelt.

"I can go! I'll tell Tigerclaw that she can't come." Cinderpaw dropped the prey she was carrying as she and Brackenpaw slipped past the camp entrance. Her eyes glanced at Dustpelt, wonderingly searching his gaze.

Fireheart shook his head. "No, Cinderpaw. I don't want you getting hurt."

Cinderpaw gazed at Fireheart a little sadly. "You can't protect me, Fireheart." Not when Tigerclaw has me and Dustpelt intertwined in his plan. "Fireheart..." I'm trying to protect you. I know Tigerclaw is going to hurt you if you go there. "Please, let me go."

"No." Fireheart shook his head.

Mouse dung! Why does he have to be so stubborn? Cinderpaw looked at Brackenpaw desperately, but he gazed back innocently. Well, of course. He doesn't know about the mess I'm in.

Yellowfang called from the fresh-kill pile, "Fireheart, collect the catnip for me. Dustpelt can return back to Tigerclaw by himself."

Fireheart hesitated, then nodded at Dustpelt. He left, leaving Cinderpaw behind once again. "I'm going to hunt more." Cinderpaw left the camp as well, except that she was heading in the direction of the ShadowClan border, where she thought Tigerclaw would be.