Chapter One || Old friends

"What we find in a soulmate is not something wild to tame but something wild to run with."

- Robert Brault

Six months had passed since Detective Jim Gordon and Lucius Fox had thrown Charlotte and Ed into the same cell in Arkham Asylum with no explanations of what was going on in Indian Hill

Six months had passed since Detective Jim Gordon and Lucius Fox had thrown Charlotte and Ed into the same cell in Arkham Asylum with no explanations of what was going on in Indian Hill. For a long time, they stood there and when finally someone showed up, Arkham was different. Not that the negligent way of how the staff handled its patients had changed, but rather some of the people working there. Miss Peabody had disappeared and Professor Hugo Strange had been arrested. After all those months, search still continued to find a new Director for the asylum.

Charlotte layed on the old and yellowed mattress on her cell with her eyes closed. She wasn't sleeping, but she didn't want to open her eyes. She was feeling down that morning and when she felt like that, she stayed in bed. Whenever Charlotte felt hyped, she would exercise or train fighting moves for a while. It was the only entertainment she would have in Arkham.

She heard a key being introduced in her door's lock and then the door creaked open. Charlotte stayed in the same position, having no energy to open her eyes and look at whoever had come in. She was certain it was one of the staff bringing her more meds.

"Come on, get up," a man's voice commanded but Charlotte didn't move. She heard the man sigh. "Get up now".

"Just leave me alone," Charlotte pleaded.

"You have a visitor," the man told her impatiently. "Hurry up, I don't have all day".

Charlotte opened her eyes against her will and sat up on the bed. She took a look at the guard and stood up. He was a tall man in his early thirties with curly dark hair and equally brown eyes. He grabbed her arm and pulled her out of the room, locking the door behind them.

The blonde woman was happy to see her good friend Oswald Cobblepot sitting in the visitor's room. There was a big window made of frosted glass on his left and he was focused on it. The guard shoved me further into the room and took his place by the door with his hand behind his back. Charlotte sat at one of the two chairs, which stood in front of a metal table in the middle of the room.

Oswald looked away from the window and smiled at her. Then he placed a gift in front of her. It was wrapped in black paper with golden spots and a black bow. Charlotte reached for the present and carefully unwrapped it. She curiously eyed the black box in her hands. It was a cube with different drawings on each side. There was a triskelion symbol on one side and three flowers of different shapes and colors in the others.

"I bought one just like this to Ed," Oswald told her. "It's said to be the hardest puzzle ever created. Passed unsolved for generations. A mathematician once went mad while trying to solve it, but Ed managed to open it in less than five minutes".

A smile spread across Charlotte's face as she heard that last sentence. The first smile she had shown in weeks. She missed Ed very much and it was killing her to be so close and yet so far from him. If it wasn't for Oswald, she wouldn't know how Ed was doing. "Of course. My Ed really is a genius".