Chapter Twenty-Five || Hostage swap

"Chaos is a friend of mine."

- Bob Dylan

Charlotte observed from her cell as Detective Bullock and Gordon argued on the floor above

Charlotte observed from her cell as Detective Bullock and Gordon argued on the floor above. Gordon even went as far as to grab his partner by the collars of his suit. But before that, Charlotte caught sight of Bullock pointing at her and Oswald. Oswald also observed the two Detectives from the cell next to Charlotte's. Both of them planned how to escape and what to do with Ed.

Once the argument between Bullock and Gordon was settled, they descended the staircase to the main floor and made their way to the holding cells. Charlotte stepped back from the bars when Gordon made a move to open the door to her cell and Bullock entered Oswald's.

"Detective Bullock, are you taking us out of here or what?" Charlotte asked impatiently.

Jim Gordon grabbed her arm and rudely pulled her out of the cell. "Let's go".

"I wasn't talking to you," Charlotte remarked, trying to pull away from Jim. However, his hold was tight and it was starting to hurt her.

"Shut up!" Gordon snapped as he pushed her against one of the desks closer to them quite violently. His sclera turned red with rage and Charlotte could see he was getting worse by the second with the Alice Tetch virus coursing through his veins.

"Jim! Calm down, partner," Bullock tried to make his partner relax a little bit. The older Detective pulled Oswald out of his cell while keeping a wary eye on Jim.

When the two Detectives started arguing again, Charlotte looked at the officer who went to grab something from his coat. He had his back to her and seemed to be looking for something on the pockets of his coat, which was hung on the back of the chair right in front of the desk Charlotte was currently against. His gun kept on his holster tempted Charlotte and she smirked. Slowly, she took her hand to the holster and carefully pulled the gun out. Then she tucked it on the waistband of her jeans behind her back.

Once she turned back to the arguing Detectives, Charlotte rolled her eyes. "And they call me crazy".

The two best friends were dragged out of the precinct and to the parking lot outside. They were both concerned as to where they were being taken and Oswald was the first to raise his concerns. "Where are we going?"

"Shut up," Jim commanded impatiently.

"Look, I'm not trying to aggravate you. It's just this doesn't exactly have an above-the-board feeling about it. What's going on?" Oswald asked.

"Barbara and Nygma have Tetch," Bullock told. Charlotte remembered the man who had poisoned her wine with his sister's blood at the Founders' dinner. She understood he was the only hope for an antidote. "They're ransoming the city".

Oswald, however, was confused. "So what does that have to do with us?" But then he finally understood where they were being taken and grew even more worried. He couldn't be confronted with Ed now. He and Charlotte were defenseless or so he thought. "You're handing us over to him. You can't. You can't. You cannot do this".