Chapter Twenty || Wake up alone

"I cannot force you to see the magic of us, unless you choose to feel the spell we are under."

- M. Firechild

"How did you survive?" Ed asked still in shock as he looked between Oswald and Charlotte

"In shooting us, Ed, you gave us something to live for," Oswald answered while holding onto the bars which separated him from Ed. "Revenge".

"And you also gave us something to bond over," Charlotte told him, also holding onto the bars. "You made mine and Oswald's friendship even stronger, Ed".

Ed looked at them suspiciously. "Yes Unless..." His voice faded and he hit both Oswald and Charlotte in the head.

"What the...?" Charlotte asked as she rubbed her forehead in confusion.

Oswald was also confused and angry that Ed had hit him. "What?"

"Just making sure you're real," Ed explained. He rubbed his eyes and then adjusted his glasses.

Not long after Ed shot them, he started taking some pills. Every time he took them, he would see both Charlotte and Oswald. There was even a time when he saw them singing and Charlotte almost kissed him, but of course, that couldn't happen cause she was nothing but a hallucination. It left him craving for it though and Ed hated it. How could the mere hallucination of her make him feel like that? He was the Riddler. He was not weak. Ed was the weak one.

"Wow, you are difficult to kill," Ed complained and turned to Oswald. "More cockroach than penguin". Then he glanced at Charlotte. "But don't you dare call me Ed. I'm the Riddler. And I became him when I killed you two".

"News flash, Ed!" Oswald shouted with a mocking expression. "We're not dead!"

"That's true," Ed said, his eyes full of mischief. "For now".

"I came back from the dead to kill you, Ed," Oswald told him threateningly.

Ed smiled. "And ended up a prisoner yourself".

Oswald turned his back to Ed and went to lean against the bars on the other side of the birdcage. "You really think a little steel and concrete is gonna stop me? The way I see it, I have you just where I want you".

"Perhaps," Ed smiled again and patted the iron bars before stepping back from them. "But not for long".

Charlotte was sure Ed had already planned a way out. He was Edward Nygma after all. He was just waiting for the perfect opportunity to put his plan into motion.

The blonde woman sat down on the bench at the center of the cage. She was angry to know those men had actually taken off her clothes and dressed her in a dark gray jumpsuit like Oswald and Ed's.

Suddenly, the door on the other side of the room opened and the two men dressed in black walked in, placed metal trays in front of the cages and left without a word.