XXII

Thursday morning brought a beautiful sunny day to Glavisland. The sweeping country hills and the apple groves glistened with morning dew from last night's rain. Golden wheat fields stretched out in the distance, kissing a bright blue cloudless sky overhead. 

The farmers' and peasants' houses scattered here or clumped there were already deserted as all who worked for the Lady had been up since six o'clock tending to livestock and repairing fallen fences or checking the situation of flooding in the gardens.

Such countryside beauty couldn't have gone unnoticed by any who set foot into Glavisland, but today, only Lady Margarita and Camiel were actually paying attention to the sun breaking through the clouds and the beauty of the acres upon acres they owned. Everyone else was caught up in their own thoughts and breakfast was had in duo monologue.

"Horrendous rain last night!"

"Yes, my dear," Camiel said.

"Torrents!"

"True, true."

"When did it stop?" Camiel called to the butler who stood stoically in the corner holding a box.

"At five, sir."

"Ah. Fernando probably just missed it."

"Splendid. More tea?" Lady Margarita waved to the maid.

"My Lady," the maid came over to pour more tea, "biscuits now or...?"

"Now. With jam if you will."

"Cranberry jam for me." Camiel grinned at his wife and they laughed at some inside joke. Countless times they tried to include Aulen in the conversation but could only get a few words out of him. 

Both Camiel and Lady Margarita were, however, acutely aware that no one else was talking so they made great effort to fill in the silence, mostly talking about the weather. What else would they have talked about when they really had not much in common with the Quads and war and politics wasn't something one discussed at the breakfast table? It would be much too depressing.

Once breakfast finished Mordecai and Georgina announced they must leave. Valerie hadn't joined them at the breakfast table but after being called they were leaving she came down with her suitcase and was out the door to the cab before them. It was as if she had been waiting with her suitcase packed and, the fact was, she had woken up shortly after Fernando left and had packed her things then. After which, she had stayed awake and was sitting up in bed fantasizing about Thomas Benedict and Fernando when a maid came knocking on her door with some homemade yogurt, some strawberry jam, and two slices of toast.

"Master Sorientto expressed that you would like your breakfast in here, miss," the maid had said. Valerie had only been mildly pleased. She wished Fernando had woken her up so she could say goodbye. She had so wanted a "good morning" kiss. 

Because this morning did not go as she wanted it to, she was sulking and made it obvious she was not in the mood to be rubbed a right or wrong way. She didn't care she was being rude. She felt like the Sorienttos had been rude to her, ignoring her all evening and only paying mild attention to her when she fainted, and now Fernando left without waking her up.

As she sat in the cab, scowling and grumbling under her breath, biting her nails or scraping them on the seat, the driver looked at her with concern but said nothing.

Soon, Mordecai came down with his things and met Georgina at the entrance. They thanked the Sorienttos for letting them stay the night and for the house party. Then they all held great formalities of politeness saying things like, "I'm glad you enjoyed your stay" although it was clear the Quads seemed more tired then when they came; or, "I would love to come again" although it was clear to both Mordecai and Georgina that neither of them wanted to bother with another house party for a while; or "Why don't you come to our place!" was given as a polite suggestion from Georgina who only said it because it had to be said and she knew her husband would not say it.