XXIV

The afternoon sun made the snow sparkle and shimmer like diamonds. Henry was outside in the snow-dusted forest, breathing in the fresh scents of winter, letting the cold chill his lungs. Through the scraggly trees above, he could see patches of tranquil blue sky. 

His mind was clear for the first time in years. Before, it was filled with confusion, blindness, and muddlement along with agony and tension. 'Beagley' would constantly haunt and belittle him, never once being the helpful 'Brother' Henry thought he had.

Today, that tormented soul had been repaired. He knew he could rid poison from society. He knew he was good at it and those around him praised him for his skills no matter how little skill he had. In the Red Circle, he wasn't worthless, he was worthful, and he was doing stuff and accomplishing things, feeling very good about himself.

"What a nice day," he said and went back inside.

"Richard was looking for you," Calvin, the doorman with stubs for thumbs, told Henry as they passed each other. Calvin was chewing on a toothpick having recently eaten lunch.

"Thank you," Henry said, bowing his head as he'd been taught. Since he joined, he soaked up every bit of anything anyone taught him quickly going from being seen as a brainless, simple-minded, ignoramus, to a well-rounded gentleman. 

To even think that such a word as "gentleman" could be applied to someone like Henry would have blown the minds of many who knew him in Nimrod, but that was what people saw him as in the Red Circle.

"Henry! There you are!" Richard called brandishing an envelope. "I have an interesting task for you to join."

"A task, sir?"

"Indeed. You're going on your first excursion."

"Excursion?" Henry's heart thumped in excitement. Those who went on Red Circle excursions all came back saying it was a lot of fun getting rid of the poison in society in another country.

Richard smiled and handed him the envelope. "Your task is written in that. Tomorrow you will set sail for Parajan, the city of Najavaya."

Henry stared at Richard who kept on grinning and grinning. Parajan brought to many minds words like "mystical" or "magical". It was where people rode on camels, elephants, and owned turtles as large as cars. It was where the exotic of the orient concentrated.

"Thank you, sir. I will not let you down." Henry bowed with one arm across his chest diagonally as he was taught. Being slightly diagonal, Richard had said, made one look a bit more sophisticated. 

When Henry lifted his head at a slight angle, his pimple-ridden face turned up into a genuine smile which twitched in the corners because he had not smiled truly in such a long time.

"I'll be counting on that." Richard stuffed his hands in his pockets and stood back diagonally looking pleased with Henry. "And drop the 'sir', Henry. We're going to do this together and that means you can call me by my name."

Henry sucked in his breath. Even if he couldn't ever go on an excursion, it would feel just as successful if he could call Richard by name. Everyone called him "sir" and only Jaxson or Mutts were ever heard calling Richard by name.

"Yes, thank you, Richard." He beamed again, feeling his cheek muscles cry out in pain because of how little he used them to smile with.

"Come to my room now, and we'll discuss the details." Richard patted Henry's arm, leading him to his room. "By the way," he said and pointed to his tie. Henry noticed for the first time it had turtles embroidered on it.

"Turtles are a symbol of luck and luxury, according to Parajan myth. I think it's served me well." He chuckled, offering Henry a small glass of whiskey. Of course, Henry couldn't deny because that would certainly take away this opportunity, and he sipped the whiskey while Richard explained to him exactly how it was going to work.