XXV

"Henry! You have a special assignment," Richard's voice chimed as he poked his head into Henry's room.

Two days ago, he returned from his excursion. He forced people to get Richard the exact same rug and helped stage a riot that was a success. He had also gotten more skilled at talking people into doing things they didn't want to such as firing a 'toy' gun only to find out it was real—on their deathbed. One person at a time, his confidence level rose.

Richard was in higher spirits today because his rug had just arrived last night along with another souvenir of a golden dagger with rubies etched in the hilt which Henry also snatched. He knew he had made the right choice to train Henry and now the gray cloud on the boy was completely gone.

"Henry, this will be your first interrogation killing. If you are able to do this, I will give you a room in Residency. Yesterday marked two weeks since you've joined us and you've come far, Henry. We've captured a woman who killed little urchin boys for her enjoyment. The catch? She's partially thrilled to be here."

"Thrilled?"

Richard smirked. "What does that tell you?"

Henry answered mechanically. "She's poison to society."

Richard chuckled and patted him on the back. "Exactly."

In the interrogation room was a woman dressed in a nightgown, blood splattered all over her chest and legs, and she had a bag over her head. Light brown locks of hair poked out from under the bag. 

Henry swallowed his nerves. He had talked with poisons and killed them, but they had always been free and not tied up. Somehow, the tied-up poisons made him more nervous. It was probably because he knew they couldn't fight back, and it was a bit unfair for the victims.

But Henry wanted to prove to Richard that he could be a good Red Circle member and graduate, finally, from being a rookie. He was about to reach for the bag to face the woman, but Richard stopped him, gripping his arm.

"The bag stays on. She's thrilled to be here, remember? Seeing us would thrill her even more. It's a good thing for her to see us. Do you know why the bag stays on, boy?"

Richard called Henry "boy" in front of the poisons to hide his identity. Henry didn't have his special name yet. He needed to go from being a rookie to a permanent member to get one of those.

"Yessir, that would be a reward for her," he said, his voice cracking at the end, betraying his fear. Richard's eyebrows twitched, and he pulled Henry aside.

"You don't have to do it if you're not ready," he whispered, but Henry shook his head.

"I am ready." He took a deep breath and closed his eyes. The easiest way to kill a poison for him was to imagine it was Aulen. The man was nothing but cruel to him, taking his money and his lifeline. Henry almost starved to death because of Aulen. 

When he opened his eyes, he could almost see an image of Aulen on top of the woman.

"Sir, shall we?" He took out his gun and emptied it all except for one bullet. Richard smirked at him and let him go.

Remembering his first time here at the Red Circle was in the interrogation chair, Henry felt good he was on this side and not that side. He felt superior over this Aulen sitting in the chair now.

With that confidence, his voice came out strong and without falter. "Do you know Roktion Roulette?" he said and walked around the room loud enough for the woman to hear.

 "I have a gun with one bullet. I turn the gun." He spun it and put it close to where the woman's ear would be. "Hear that music?" he said.

"Very lovely," Richard said. "But the best part is...?"