XXIX

Christmas was a day to celebrate for the police of Nimrod. They had captured a mass murderer from a country in the south. Catherine Sarah Berd, with an alias of 'Nelly' and many others, killed Georgina Quad as was reported from an anonymous witness' phone call. 

The police even captured Petite who had been loyal to Nelly up until he was offered food and a place to stay at a nice home. He quickly told the police everything about her proving to be more intelligent than he let on.

As for Fernando, the Genteelman was happily sitting atop his metaphorical throne of success having bought Quad's World Goods through a secret agreement with Mordecai before death—one which even Mordecai was unaware of. The workers of Mordecai were happy to now be under a less rigid boss and saw Fernando as a bright young man who knew exactly what he was doing.

Because of the (fake) agreement, Fernando's father let him take full reign of North Parajan Company which now meant that Fernando finally had what he had been after all this time—a lot of money. He also successfully won the trust of the tribal chief that held the secret to where the ruby mine was. Financially, things were looking up for him and he moved to Parajan permanently to marry Hamini.

Valerie was claimed to have called off the engagement and there was paperwork with her signature. Fernando's parents were angry with her and turned their backs on her. 

Upon Fernando's last bit of Genteelmanism, he paid a handsome donation to send her away to spend her life in asylum for she still couldn't quite tell the difference between reality and fantasy, sometimes talking out loud to her father, Henry, or Philip. Her mother only occasionally existed in her fantasies and telling Valerie her parents were dead did not register the least bit.

"Mother and Father are alive. Aren't you both?" Valerie would say and begin to laugh like a little girl, sending shivers up investigators' arms.

Aulen, who had somehow survived Henry's attack, made sure to notify his parents he was okay, but made them promise not to tell Fernando for reasons he could not share and kept to himself up in Glaid and never came down to Nimrod again. He knew Valerie was alive, but he also knew she couldn't be saved unless... Yet, his story and Valerie's will go unsolved for many years to come.

Henry was alive as well having failed a suicide attempt and his mental state had gone back in time to chapter one. He cried for 'Beagley' and 'Brother' and screamed 'scumbag' until his voice was hoarse, and his throat hurt. He pounded the walls of his cell in asylum, a different one from Valerie's. 

He knew she was alive and well enough, he knew his parents were dead, and he knew that Fernando bought up Quad's World Goods, yet, he didn't feel anything other than hatred for himself and his life.

"Beagley, please, I beg you to take me out, please! I hate me, kill me please, Beagley!" he would cry over and over. One time he hit his hand so hard against the concrete wall that he fractured a bone and had to have a brace in his hand.

Since the only living Quads were insane, no one was around to give Georgina or Mordecai a proper funeral. Investigators tried to locate some distant relative and couldn't find any except for a small lead that led them up to Evrenland to a graveyard that had the headstone of a child named Philip Beagle Quad who was marked as the son of Mordecai and Georgina. 

It was curious to many that a Lwennen could have had a life in Evrenland so far up north as many did not know Mordecai like his silenced workers did.

"Oh yes, he's originally from Evrenland. Ah, it's so good to finally talk about this. He and his family left after they disowned their eldest son Philip and then had him killed because they felt such disgrace about him. Then, they hypnotized themselves to forget so no one would slip up and tell the truth," many workers of Mordecai said the same thing and the investigation came to a halt because no one could prove it was so and no one could prove otherwise.