Ten

"Are you doing okay?"

Olivia glanced up at her mother, noticing Denise's cold fingers against her hand. Even after all these years, Olivia still hated flying and ended up wound tighter than a cobra – or, as Harry would say, than an eight-day clock – with each flight.

Olivia shrugged in response. "Same as any other time," she replied. "Just wish the flight back home wasn't so long," she added with a snicker as she stretched her leg into the aisle, trying to rid the kink in her knee that would be present until the plane landed.

Denise smiled. "Good," she answered, rubbing Olivia's arm. "But... I meant the other thing..."

Olivia furrowed her brow. "What other thing?" she questioned warily. She hadn't mentioned a word about her time spent with Harry to her mother. Denise was far more opinionated than either one of Olivia's sisters and she wouldn't understand the wave of emotions and doubt coursing through Olivia's mind. Olivia hardly understood it. Denise was also Ben's biggest fan. Olivia was certain Denise's thoughts on the matter would mimic Stephanie and Jessica's, but amplified.

Though, Denise could just as easily be talking about the fact that Olivia ripped her favourite jeans.

Denise raised an eyebrow, a knowing smirk on her face. "Your sisters have big mouths. Especially Stephanie," she added. "They told me you saw Harry..." she said, the words slow and careful.

Olivia sighed. Of course her sisters had spilled her secret. Their big mouths did not surprise Olivia. It only surprised her Denise waited until the flight home to bring it up. "I did..." Olivia answered, her words as slow and careful as Denise's had been.

"And?" Denise pressed, cocking her head as she tried to peer into Olivia's eyes. Olivia sensed her mother's eyes on her but she kept her head down, avoiding her gaze. The two were not close, for reasons like this. Olivia hardly spoke and yet felt judged by her mother already.

Olivia suppressed a sigh. "And what?" she asked, picking up the safety brochure from the seatback and fiddling with the corners of the laminate. She hated being trapped in the conversation she did not want to have.

"Well, why didn't you tell me?" Denise asked. "If it was just an innocent coffee, there would be no reason to hide it, right?"

Olivia closed her eyes. Denise's tone of voice was one Olivia heard countless times over her lifetime. Light and phony, with a hint of laughter tucked into the hoards of condescension. Olivia would fall for her facetious nurturing bit as a child, but she wouldn't now.

"That's right," Olivia answered in a tight voice, glancing up and down the aisle for the stewardess. Wine was a necessity if Denise insisted on discussing Harry.

"So, you're saying it wasn't innocent?"

Olivia breathed out a loud exhale. "Mom!" she exclaimed. "I really don't want to talk about this!"

"Is there something to talk about?"

Olivia leaned her head back against the seat. Her mother was infuriating. "You already know everything, don't you?" she told Denise. "I'm sure Steph told you everything, in great, exaggerated detail. You don't need me to fill you in on anything." She stood up, bracing her hands on the back of the seat. "I'm going pee. And when I come back, I'm reading... for the rest of the trip. Or sleeping," she added as a second thought. She lacked the attention span to read for six hours even if the alternative was a painful heart-to-heart with her critical mother.

She stumbled her way to the back of the plane, grasping on to various seats as the plane bounced over the fly over states. After locking herself in the tiny washroom, she pressed her fingers against her forehead, trying to rid the headache her mother caused, and the thoughts running through her mind.