Chapter 30 - New Digs

THE anger of drills and hammer thumps chase thuds, I wonder what the builders are joking about? As they formulate a new frustration in the form of an electric door, it's for my own benefit, the crazies need to be kept at bay. I've been shunned-off into the back-up cell, it smells like stale-booty wrapped in a decaying tooth.

I'm out my comfort zone, how long do I need to be here? My work... What if their fingertips are pulled from friend's bum-holes and they go rooting through my shit, what if they steal something? My pinnacle thoughts pinprick at the sin, let cynical smarm cause difficult chivalrous harm, I feel a temper tantrum enter my inner sanctum.

One cell at a time... Who works like that? Start with me first, I feel privilege with a little predigest, digest the disgust with me, misery loves Blah-blah-blah.

If I keep pacing the floor, I am sure I wear down the floor and escape through the ceiling beneath. I need my paper and pen. As soon as the bookshelves and media captured hold of my lit of mayhem, all eyes hung on every constructive carnivorous contagious conscious word. I knew from the paper clippings slid under my door and by and overheard radio advertisements from the cleaners, I wasn't only famous, probably a millionaire too. I abhor you, you adore me. Not that I would see of this corruptive cash, can't pocket shit whilst I am held captive in here with no pockets on my trousers. I've heard from wall-whispers, chat-shows have requested me to do live shows, where they come here and interview the best writer and one of the best killers alive.

When Doctor McKay said no, he meant it. He said he opened up a bank account for me or Jess, which one of us left Hell first, we could produce a good life with a new identity. There's hope still in me. It feels weird having people follow my insane scribbles, even though I have taken life and laughed, joked and pointed at it.

I must be receiving fan-mail, not that I see any of those either. I will ask the opaque educated fucker in our next meeting. I wanna' drown in a precipice of press and sail on an ocean of book sales, not sink my talent into the blue beyond and be capsized and left stranded with my other self.

"Have they finished yet?" I rap the flap. "Hello, super-murderer in here. Have those bitches left my room yet?" I thunder through the door.

"A few more minutes, Kyle." A female voice blares.

The natter of lady workers tattle-tales trial through.

"What d'ya mean?" A high-pitched voice squeaks. Whoa! She has an annoying fucking voice.

"They're doin' it today, they've just unloaded that thing, you know what I'm talkin' about, the big-computer-controller-type-thingy, and it's getting plugged in today, can you believe that?"

I march to the window, you can always trust a gossip to catch your attention. I arch and angle my face until a cold cheek stretches over the window, I needed a better view past the outside bars to see what's happening at Stateside's entrance.

Would you look at that, the bigmouths outside my door aren't talking shit for once; they're all out there working.

I listen to what else the hearsay-hags have to say. You never know what you can learn from people who can't keep their God-damn mouth shut.

"Janice, listen, they hook it up and everything runs off of it, the doors, the computers and the cameras too, stuff like that. I mean, like, it makes our jobs, like, fifty times easier, you know. No more waiting for keys or that old fart dragging his saggy-arse up and down them stair. They should have got rid of him yonks ago, don't know why he's still here. Alright, we all have jobs to do, but c'mon, anyone of us could do what he does."

"I am wiff' you on that. I'm jus' thinkin', what if, the power goes down, my computer goes down all the time, it's probably because of our Martin bashing-one-out to all that porn, but, computers fail, that's all I'm saying. And what if, we have to get into a cell and we can't cause' the comp' isn't working?"

"Yeah, that's a good point, you know. I know though, but I'm sure someone will phone a repair man or break in, there'll be some sort of contingency set in place for shit like that, I bet."

I don't know if it's all the electrical components being screwed and hammered into place, I can taste the smooth static in the air, could there be a storm on the calendar?

You know how I work with information, good or bad, it is a weakness for someone. If I ever needed, I could destroy this building. But, how?

I know if I run at people, I'd be set-upon with stringent skills and I've got nobbily-knees, so that's not on the cards.

I would have to attack the walls themselves. The new system put in place can be rewired like a brain and direct it as a counter confrontation. How can I gain control of their matrix?