Wattpad Original
There are 15 more free parts

Pebbles

Pebbles

I press my cheeks against the cool tiles in the bathroom and sigh. The sweltering heat has been murderous but a cool shower will remedy that. The strength to move is my issue; everything aches.

"You can do this, you'll be alright!" I don't believe those words because these pep talks stopped working days ago. "Once I have enough money, I'll be standing in Paris or Italy enjoying good food and wine."

I peel my leggings down and gasp as pain shoots through me. Cutting the pants would have been easier than this torture. I toss the clothes into the washing basket and I step under the cool drizzle of water and grin.

The water won't wash away the nerves bubbling in the pit of my stomach, but it's making a good start on the sweat and desperation which seems to cling to me. I scrub my skin with soap and rinse off.

Water trickles on the mat as I wrap a towel around my body. I lean against the counter and inhale a deep breath as I dry my body.

"This will hurt, but you need to do it."

I slide into a pair of denim shorts and a baggy t-shirt before staggering into the hallway.

"How come you're home from work early, is everything okay?" Mum calls.

I inhale a sharp breath as I turn to their bedroom. Mum is sprawled across the bed with a romance novel beside her.

"Everything is good." I smile through the pain. "We've completed the garden and it looks amazing! He's hired me to look after his house while he's away on business."

"Congratulations! But do you think house-sitting is a good idea? You don't know this person and what happens if something goes wrong? It's a lot of responsibility."

My stomach knots and I sigh.

"If something goes wrong, then I'll handle it."

"It's odd he's hired a stranger."

"He wants to help me earn some money and do I look like a suspicious person?"

The concern slips from her face. "Fair point, you don't look suspicious. I worry about these jobs because you don't know who you're working for."

She has every right to be worried but I stand taller and smile brighter.

"Lounging around an empty house sounds good to me, and there's no risk of gardening in the nude or being murdered since he won't be there."

"Promise me you'll be careful."

"I promise!"

"How long are you house-sitting for?"

"I'm not sure, but it could be a long term arrangement since he's a busy man."

"Alright." She nods.

"I'm going to pack a bag and head over. I'll see you in the morning."

"Please message me when you get there so I know you're safe."

"Yes, and I'll message when I'm coming home."

"Thank you! Now come and give me a hug in case it's the last time."

"Please don't say that." I groan.

Mum pats the bed as I wander over. She squishes me to her chest and I gasp in pain, but this doesn't stop her from nuzzling her nose into the crook of my neck.

"What's that smell?"

"Sweat and plants, I assume. It's been a long day, I'll wash my hair tomorrow."