Wattpad Original
There are 9 more free parts

Mint

Mint

Pebbles scowls as he hunches over a pile of paperwork. He places a couple of sheets into a folder and turns to me. His shoulders relax as he smiles.

"Hi, Tikera." His voice is smooth and quiet.

"Um, hey." I tug on a smile.

He crosses his arms and leans against the bench. His piercing blue eyes bore into mine which makes my stomach churn.

"Austin will be here soon to help you complete the harvest shift. I've sold the entire collection of plants, so they need to be stripped and packaged before they're collected."

"Does that mean you no longer need me?" I frown.

No illegal job means no illegal boss.

I should be happy this is where the adventure ends, but I wrap my arms around my torso and sigh. I don't want this to end, not the power of earning money, the thrill of doing something illegal, or the time I've spent with Pebbles.

"I'll call when your services are required."

"Oh." I smile. "I'll be waiting then."

He chuckles and my cheeks burn. I wish I could eat my words.

"Thank you for your dedication." He grins.

I stare at my shoe and chew on my lower lip.

Pebbles organises the papers on the bench while I inhale a deep breath. He throws a folder into the filing cabinet and wanders to the ladder.

"Tikera." He sighs.

"Yes?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Please be careful around Austin."

"Can you expand on that?"

"You ask too many questions."

"Excuse me?" I gasp. "Now that's a reflection on you."

"Can you do as you're told, or do I need to find someone else?"

I cross my arms and sigh.

"It would be easier if you told me more."

"Tikera." His shoulders tense.

I open my mouth, only to shut it because sassy comments won't get me anywhere.

"I'm sorry, I'll be careful around Austin."

My stomach churns and my heart races. Is he going to do something terrible? Is my life under threat? Does he care if I die?

"Good girl."

"Excuse—" The door opens, cutting me short.

Austin descends the ladder and Pebbles collects the paperwork.

"You'll complete the shift together. Don't fight while I'm gone because I need this to flow smoothly."

"Okay." Austin nods.

The pair look at me and I sigh.

"We'll be on our best behaviour." I tug on a smile.

"Please show Tikera the shutdown routine."

"Yes, Boss," he grumbles.

Turning to the side, I gasp and rub my eyes. Gnarly purple and black bruises mark his tanned skin around his swollen eye. The bruising trickles down his jaw which sends a shiver down my spine.