Wattpad Original
There are 7 more free parts

Oleander

Oleander

Austin limps around the corner as I park in my usual spot. Black shading mixed with green and yellow bruises paints his cheek bone. He wraps his arm around his torso and scurries to the gate.

I collect my things and lock the car as I rush to the backyard. The moonlight trickles through the dark night, sending fragments of light through the leaves.

I shiver as I tighten my cardigan around my body. I appreciate the night when I'm not alone, especially when I'm here.

Dropping my bag on the floor, I prop the door open and climb down. The metal ladder is cold which sends another shiver coiling down my spine.

I close the door and jump to the ground. My legs tingle but I shake them away as I wander to the bench.

The Boss is dragging the new plants so they're under the hydroponic setup. His shoulders are tense and he's scowling at the plant in his hand.

I place my bag on the counter and inhale a deep breath. Despite the nerves threatening to take over, I bury them. Pebbles has never been horrible and I've never given him a reason to be angry.

'This is ridiculous.' I shake my head.

Tugging on a smile, I turn around and wander over.

"Hi there."

All this worry is about the ideas floating in my head. I shouldn't be afraid of Pebbles, just as I shouldn't be afraid of the night. Yet, here I am, afraid of the pair.

He straightens the plant under the pipe and looks at me.

"Hello Tikera." He nods.

"Is there any point of being here if you're tending to the plants?" I raise an eyebrow.

"No." He shakes his head.

"Yeah, that's what I thought." I nod. "You could call me when you're done."

"Stay."

I grab my bag and wander to the living quarters. The bed is covered with throw cushions which makes me chuckle. I never thought Pebbles would be into accessorising his possessions, especially the ones down here.

Pebbles drags more pots around while I remove my shoes and leap onto the bed. I take the book he gave me out of the bag and snuggle between the pillows.

There're more uses to flowers than putting them in a vase to die. This book has changed my mind about them. I have a growing list of teas I'd like to make.

As I move through the chapters, I snuggle under the blanket and yawn. The words go blurry as my eyelids grow heavy. The cover slides through my fingers as I drift towards sleep.

He takes the book and tugs the warm blanket over my shoulders. I nuzzle into the blanket and sigh.

"Rest up, oleander."

"Mm?"

I battle to open my eyes, but by that point, he's already gone.

* * * * *

His deep voice booms through the room which jolts me awake. I tug the blankets around my body which is ridiculous, how's material going to save me? My heart pounds as I gather my wits.

"Figure it out because you know what happens when I have no use for you."

I freeze against the cushion as his icy words strike me down. It goes silent, so I crawl to the end of the bed and peek around the corner. The Boss is leaning on the counter, his shoulders hunched and his voice low.

His lips are moving but it's not loud enough to make out what he's saying. The Boss steps to the side and shakes his head. He weaves his fingers through his hair and grumbles.

My stomach churns as his entire body tenses.

"Don't call until you've got it."

He stares at the phone then hurls it against the wall. The screen shatters against the wall and topples to the ground. As his body turns around, I launch myself to the other end and dive under the covers. My heart races as his boots thud against the soil.

"Tikera." His voice is loud, but there's no anger.

I roll onto my back and peek over the covers. His body is relaxed but there's a storm raging in his eyes. I sink into the pillows and wrap my arms around my body.

"Mm, yeah?" I stifle a fake yawn.

"Austin will arrive within the hour to take over. I have some things I need to take care of."

"Yikes! Did I sleep for that long?" I gasp.

"Yes." A ghost of a smile lingers on his lips. "You must have needed the sleep."

"Seems like it! Will I see you tomorrow?"

"Goodbye, Tikera."

He strides away as I curl into the blanket for protection. As his thudding boots grow distant, I inhale a deep breath to soothe my erratic heartbeat.

My body trembles as I crawl to the end of the bed. He climbs the ladder and closes the door behind him. I lean against the cold wall and inhale another deep breath. Nothing helps.

Am I the same as this person on the phone? Will I be disposed of when I'm no longer useful to him? Will I ever be able to leave his service? I don't want to die young.

He doesn't trust anyone, so how could I walk away from this? I can't walk away unless he orders me to leave, and I doubt that'll happen.

These are things I should have considered before accepting the job. But did I have a chance to decline? The moment I saw the door, I'd unknowingly accepted my fate, whatever it might be.

"Crap!" I smack the bed and sigh. "I'm dead, six feet under dead."

I bang my head against the wall and groan as the pain trickles through my scalp. I hug my knees to my chest and rest my chin on them.

I can't leave and there's no way I can ask my parents for help.

What am I supposed to do now? Because there's no way I'll be sitting around waiting to die.

* * * * *