Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

Tulips

Tulips

The sprouting weeds nestled between plants are missing, and there's a layer of black mulch that makes the greenery pop. Considering the lack of amusement around here and the issue of my parents wondering about my job details, I thought I could start gardening for The Boss.

I enable the alarm on my car and swing my backpack over my shoulder. The front door opens and Pebbles wanders out. He shoves his hand into the front pocket and slouches.

"Hey, Boss." I smile.

"You're early."

"I was going to weed the garden." I glance around. "Looks like someone else beat me to it.

"Do you really want to pull weeds out?" He cocks an eyebrow up.

"Maybe, it's a long story." I shrug.

"Should I make popcorn?" He chuckles.

"Oh no, it's not that interesting. My parents are being weird and I wanted to get out of the house before I end up in their interrogation room."

The Boss tilts his head and frowns.

"They're complaining that I don't come home dirty enough to be a gardener. I'm not sure what they're expecting, though."

"I can have you rip the garden out and re-do it. I'm growing tired of the lavender."

"Oh gosh, no, please don't do that on my account." I gasp.

"How about a pit of dirt?"

"Much better, thank you." I giggle. "Anyway, I should get going otherwise, Austin might suspect I'm bailing on him or something."

"That's why I wanted to speak with you. Austin is taking your shift. Since the cancelation is last minute, I'll still pay you."

"Why is he getting my shift? Is there something wrong? I thought I proved myself."

Pebbles raises his hand and motions for me to come closer. I keep walking until he signals to stop. By that point, we're three feet apart.

His eyes trail over my body and my stomach twists.

"Austin is investigating, and I'd prefer him to handle the situation because I'd hate for your beautiful face to be bruised."

My jaw drops and his chuckling jolts me out of shock.

I straighten my posture and frown. "Thank you for the concern, but I can handle myself."

"I know you're capable of handling yourself, but I don't want you involved."

"Fine," I grumble.

His words dance through my mind as I storm to the car.

A smile threatens to spread across my lips, but I bite the inside of my cheek and slide into the car. He cares about me, or at least I think he does.

I bet he calls all the women who fall into his bed beautiful. My heart sinks; those words aren't special coming from his lips.

I slam the car door and start the engine. Pebbles stands by the house, watching as I reverse. There's something freeing about racing down the road with him behind me.