Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

Chamomile

Chamomile

Music blares from the old radio as I scramble down the ladder. I adjust the strap on my shoulder as I wander towards the plants. Pebbles pokes a pipe, and it topples to the ground. He crosses his arms and glares at the broken pipe.

"Hi." I wave. "What's happened to the pipe?"

"Austin said it broke when the timer came on, but I don't understand how it would break like that." He sighs. "So your guess would be as good as mine."

"Hm, that's strange." I frown.

"The man who fixes these problems isn't answering his phone, so you'll need to water the plants by hand today. I've sent Austin to purchase a hose, he should be back soon."

"No worries, I can do that." I smile.

"If this isn't fixed by the next shift—"

Cold droplets sprinkle across my cheeks and I squirm. He chuckles as he closes the space between us.

"Are you okay? I thought I turned the water off."

"On the bright side, there's nothing blocking the pipes."

Pebbles cups my cheek and brushes his thumb over my skin. The cold water spreads as a chill trickles down my spine. His blue eyes bore into mine and my breathing comes out ragged.

My heart races as his face inches closer. I'm caught in his gaze like a deer in headlights.

His breath tickles my lips and I bite my lip.

"Um." I squeeze my eyes shut. "Thank you for brushing the water away."

His warm hand slips away as he steps back. Pebbles swings around and combs his fingers through his short black hair. His shoulders slump forward as he exhales a breath.

Does he really believe I'm poison or is this about the other night? I haven't spoken to Marcus since the ride home. Our parents are thrilled the date went well, but I haven't told them that's all it was.

I don't owe him an explanation but I don't want Pebbles to think I'm seeing someone.

"About the other night." I twirl a strand of hair around my fingertip. "Our parents want us to date and we thought it would be hilarious to go for dinner because Marcus used the company credit card."

His shoulders relax as he turns around.

"You don't owe me an explanation."

"I know." I smile.

"There's a hand towel in the tool bag if you need it."

"Thanks, but I should be alright."

Pebbles looks at the broken pipe and wanders away. I cross my arms and stare at the water droplets on my purple shirt. Austin's arrival would be good to break the awkward silence.

The Boss collects the tools and dumps them on the bench. He places his hands on the bench and leans on it as he inhales a deep breath. I admire that he's trying to keep it together. Pebbles piles them into the bag and closes it.

"Is there anything I can do?"

"No, but thank you."

"Perhaps I could take a harvest shift if the piping hasn't been fixed." I grin. "I could help with the missing product issue. They wouldn't suspect me investigating since Austin's above me."

"Forget about the missing product, it's nothing you should be worried about."

"I do worry about it and I can help you."

"Tikera." His jaw clenches. "I said, forget about it."

"Fine." I throw my hands up. "If that's really what you want."

The door opens and Austin lowers himself down. He drops and his boots thwack against the ground.

"This was the longest hose I could find." He points to the green tube on his shoulder.

"Hook it up and start watering."

"Okay, boss."

Austin's gaze catches mine and he looks at the ground. I roll my eyes and sigh. I'm not Medusa, he won't turn to stone.

"Tikera, go above and wait for me in the garden."

"Alright." I nod.

Austin grumbles, which makes The Boss scowl.

I climb the ladder and slam the door behind me, only to open it again.

"Why the hell is she still here? You said you were dismissing her."

"You're my employee, you don't order me around."

"Don't let your feelings get in the way of what's happening."

"I don't have feelings for her."

"Lie to yourself, but don't lie to me."

"You're treading on thin ice."

"Don't make the same mistake as last time."

"Water the plants."

I close the lid and race to the pond. The koi swim to the surface and open their mouths for food. I take the container nestled behind a plant and scatter food into the water. It's a frenzy as the koi battle each other to eat the food.

The door opens and I peek over my shoulder. He climbs out of the hole and the door slams shut. He straightens his shirt as he wanders across the grass.

Pebbles stands behind me with his hands tucked into his pockets. The sun casts dark shadows across his face which masks his emotions.

I stare at the water and inhale a deep breath. This could be my chance to escape, but I don't want to leave him or this sweet job. I'm an idiot to be sad, but that doesn't stop me.

My heart pounds as I dig my fingers into the grass. I peer over my shoulder and inhale a breath but it doesn't soothe my heartbeat.

"Are you dismissing me?"

"Were you listening to our conversation?"

I turn to the pond and bite my lip.

"What do you want to talk about?"

"The chamomile needs to be planted in the vertical boxes."

"Okay." I nod.

"The plant and potting mix are beside the front door."

"Is there anything else you want me to do?"

"No."

"Then I'll leave."

"I'll pay you for the entire shift." He sighs.

"You don't need to do that."

His body tenses as I roll my eyes. There's no point arguing with a brick wall. I scramble to my feet and leave Pebbles and those fluttering feelings behind.

* * * * *