Ch. 6 The Loser vs. The Nerd

Sage hung up the phone, writing down the date for Marlo's eyes appointment. He'd asked if he could bring him in and the lady had said it would be fine. They'd have to skip school Wednesday next week but that's okay, they won't miss much. Now his next problem.

Sage dialed the number written on the piece of paper but quickly lost his nerve and pressed end. He dropped the house phone on the counter and looked out the window where everyone was playing outside. Aurora and Mia were making mud pies and poor Marlo was their victim. They were all filthy. He'll just spray them with the hose before they come in. He'd rather them track water than mud.

"So, who was that guy?" Elias was sitting at the kitchen table doing other people's homework again.

"What guy?" Sage looked at the thick binder in front of his brother. "You're going to get in trouble when you get caught." Sage told him, earning a scoff.

"Dude, I'm a entrepreneur. I won't get caught." They both laughed. "And that guy that was with you at lunch today."

"Oh, just some new kid in one of my classes." The most hottest guy he'd ever seen with the most fantastic eyes and kissable lips!

"Oh, cool. I just never see you hangout with anyone. You're a loser."

"You have some nerve, nerd."

"Hey, at least I have friends."

Sage scoffed. He had nothing to say to that and instead snatched the phone and piece of paper off the counter. "Watch the kids!" He shouted as he ran upstairs.

In his room with the door shut, Sage punched in the number and pressed call before he lost his nerve again. He exhaled a shaky breath and put the phone to his ear.

"Hello?" Sage shut his eyes at the deep voice.

"So, I was thinking five thirty would be a good time." He got right to the point and bit his lip, thanking god when Brandon laughed.

"Five thirty is great, do you want me to pick you up or meet there?"

"Meet there." Sage rushed. "You know we could have just talked about this in school." He tugged on his curls and started to pace. No matter what, he could never stand still while on the phone.

"I know, I just wanted your number." Brandon laughed. Was he flirting? What is flirting? No, he's totally straight.

"W–Why?" He was pacing again. He'd be walking all around the house if he didn't want anyone to hear.

"So I can talk to you of course."

"Right, of course." Was Sage's immediate response. "Ugh, why?"

"So I can get to know you." He sounded like he was smiling. He was always smiling. Probably because I'm such an idiot.

"Oh." Everything was silent.

"So, what do you like to do?" Conversation starter. Okay.

"Um...draw but I like painting more or I just like the mess. You?" Sage dropped down on his bed.

"You'll have to show me some of your work." Sage nodded like he could see him. "I like many things. I like to run."

"Run? Like exercise?" Sage wrinkled his nose in disgust. He hated all things even slightly athletic, probably because he always ends up hurting himself. The only reason he's toned is from walking everywhere and he wouldn't do that if he didn't have to. Brandon laughed.

"For fun. And I like the woods." Sage ignored the first bit. Who runs for fun?

"The woods are cool, that's where I use to draw when I was younger."

They continued to talk until Sage realized the time and said his goodbyes. Then they got stuck because neither of them wanted to hang up. Elias solved that problem when he walked in the room soaked and shivering. Sage ended the call and tossed the phone behind him.

Everyone was inside now, tracking water and yelling. Sage got everything under control before leaving for work at the store. David's wife stopped by with their kids to drop off dinner, she hadn't done that in a long time and Sage avoided her eyes when she greeted him politely. He always felt horrible when he was around her. He was dreading when the store closed. He stocked the shelves and then sat behind the register on the stool, lost in thought mostly.

He knew what he did was wrong. He was helping a man cheat. Not just on his wife, but his family. A family that depends on him and would be broken if his secret was discovered. Sage knew what it was like to have a broken family.

When David took him to the back and paid him for two weeks of work, he tried to think of excuses to get out of the rest but the man was already unbuckling his belt and waiting for him. Sage lowered himself between the man's stretched out legs and finished his job. Because that what it was. A job. A job that fed his family and kept them in a house.

For the first time in a long time, Sage cried when he was in the bathroom washing his hands and mouth out. He felt dirty. He always felt dirty after but this time was worse. He denied David's offer to drop him off and instead walked, ignoring the feeling of eyes on him.

Everyone was asleep when he got home. Elias had left a note that dinner was in the microwave. Someone had drawn a picture of what resembled a fat man on it, Marlo no doubt.

Sage reheated the food and smiled when he took it out. Baked chicken was the only thing Elias knew how to make that wasn't already cooked. Sage sat at the cluttered table and ate his chicken, mash potatoes and corn. Elias had probably been proud with the meal he'd made. He really wants his laptop back.

Once he'd finished, he washed his plate and the dishes left in the sink. He checked on the twins, and then his brothers. He continued down the hall and opened the door to his mom's room. The air in the room smelled stale, you could tell no one had lived in here for awhile. Sometimes Sage would come in to dust or change the sheets, in hope that his mom would come back better than how she'd left. That never happened, she usually came back worse and withdrawing because she ran out of money.

Sage didn't linger and grabbed Elias' laptop he'd put on the shelf in the closet. He thinks his siblings are scared to come in here. They didn't know who she was before drugs and alcohol. She'd started leaving for long periods of time when Elias was six. But she got addicted to alcohol way before that. He got to see pieces of who she was during the months she'd come back pregnant but she'd always leave again and Elias would sit by the front door waiting.

Sage sat the laptop on the dresser before crawling into bed. It didn't take long for him to fall asleep.

_______________________________

🖤