Ch. 15 Messenger

Zipping up his backpack, Sage stood and hefted it up over his shoulder. He'll stop by his locker later. He wanted to get to lunch.

Before he could make it out of the classroom however, a smiling brunet was in front of him. The boy was taller but thin and dressed in bright colors. Sage had noticed him a few times but only because he wondered about him, wondered what it would be like to be as carefree as the openly gay boy.

"Sage, right?" Oddly, Sage felt intimidated by the other boy and he wasn't exactly sure why. Maybe him being so open made Sage feel inferior. "You're friends with Brandon."

It wasn't a question so Sage didn't know what to say, so he nodded along.

"You wouldn't mind passing this along would you?"

A folded piece of paper appeared in front of him and Sage looked from it to the boy. "Um..."

"I just figured It'd be best coming from a friend, don't you think?"

Sage glanced around the empty classroom before sighing in defeat and nodding.

"Great!" The boy stuffed the paper in Sage's hand before breezing from the room and disappearing in the crowded hall.

Checking that he was alone again, Sage unfolded the note and scanned over the written words. His face warmed and he quickly folded it back but couldn't find it in himself to throw it away, even if he wanted to drag the brunet down to his level and state his claim.

Brandon was waiting for him in the lunch line, waving him over with a bright smile as soon as Sage walked through the double doors. Putting his head down, Sage made way to him quickly with the folded note still in hand and a plan formulating.

"Hey!" Brandon greeted cheerfully. Even though Sage wanted to melt and greet the boy just as enthusiastically, he instead held out the note for him. "What's this?"

Sage shrugged a shoulder and bit his lip, shuffling ahead with the lunch line. He heard the crinkle of paper as Brandon unfolded the note but forced himself not to look back and see his initial reaction.

Brandon didn't say anything and Sage pouted as he got his lunch and led the way to their usual table. If things went as he planned in his head, he wouldn't have to have the awkward and uncomfortable conversation with Brandon and things would move along easier. Right?

"You were going to tell me about your dream." Brandon said, completely ignoring the note. That was not a part of Sage's plan.

"Where do you think you'll go? Maybe dinner and a movie." Sage said, ignoring Brandon's words. "Or is that too cliche? I wouldn't really know but it sounds like a good idea!" Sage popped open the little plastic case and pulled out his veggie wrap. "I would do the movie first so you can get comfortable in each other's company and by dinner you'll have something to talk about."

"Sage." Brandon said but Sage ignored him and opened his ranch packet.

"What's his face doesn't seem like the kind of guy to like cliche though, so you'll probably have to put some effort into it." Sage pulled the tomato slices from his wrap before squeezing the ranch on it.

"I'm not going out with him." Brandon laughed, like it was the most obvious thing. But that wasn't part of the plan!

"Why not? I think you should." Sage shrugged, finally looking up at the boy sitting beside him. "You should have more friends, you know, people you can go out on the weekends with, go to homecoming and prom with."

"You're my friend."

Sage rolled his eyes. "That doesn't mean you can't have more. Besides, he said he'll make it worth your while."