Ch. 11 Sleep walking

Pale eyes watched him curiously.

Sage had no idea who the boy was but he was about his height. He couldn't focus on anything but the pale eyes that made him feel slightly uncomfortable. They seemed to grow closer but neither of the boys moved, like the black void around them was shrinking.

Tears of blood ran down the boy's olive cheeks as the darkness surrounded him until all Sage could see was the glowing white eyes.

Goosebumps spread up Sage's arms and the hair on the back of his neck stood on end. Warm hands cupped the sides of his face, drawing him closer.

Suddenly the boy's lips were on his.

Shooting up, Sage gasped for air. He tried to get out of the bed but his legs were shaking so bad that he fell and had to use the dresser to try again. Elias mumbled something in his sleep but didn't wake.

Successfully standing, Sage stumbled out of the room and to the bathroom where he splashed cold water onto his face. Blinking away the last remains of sleep, Sage tried to remember the last time he'd had a dream he could remember after waking. He couldn't think of a single dream, much less one that actually scared him.

Stripping from his sweat dampened shirt, Sage decided to go downstairs for a glass of water. He made sure to be quiet, not wanting to wake anyone and also because it was the dead of night. He had left the bathroom light on so he could see down the stairs but beyond that was pitch black.

"I don't want to."

Sage froze on the steps.

After minutes of silence the small voice whispered again. "No, that's mean."

Knowing he wasn't hearing things, Sage went down the remaining steps and flicked on the living room light.

Marlo sat in the middle of the floor, his large eyes on Sage as if surprised to see him. Sage looked around the room, looking for anymore of his siblings but Marlo was alone.

"Who were you talking to?" Sage questioned, looking around the room again. Marlo jumped up and ran to him, his little arms reaching up. Sage picked him up and checked the front door to confirm that it was still locked.

"I'm not allowed to tell." Marlo yawned, dropping his head on Sage's shoulder.

Honestly, after the dream he'd just woken up from and all the weird things his siblings had been saying, Sage was starting to get freaked out. He wondered if Elias had let them see a scary movie and they were just repeating things they'd heard.

"Why not?" Sage decided to ask.

"You're not ready yet." Marlo mumbled softly. Sage wanted to ask more but Marlo had fallen asleep.

After getting a glass of water, Sage went back upstairs and returned Marlo to his bed. Maybe his little brother had just been sleep walking. That's common, right?

He laid down for awhile but when it became clear that sleep wouldn't come, Sage pulled his crate from under his bed and decided to let his mind become blank.

It had the desired effect and after hours of doodling, Sage fell into a dreamless sleep.

***

It was fast approaching midnight and Sage was ready to get home. Like every Saturday, his day was spent working.

David had been watching him like a hawk today and Sage had a feeling he'd be in the back room longer tonight. The older man wouldn't risk doing anything in the store, paranoid that his wife would see the security footage but he did brush by Sage a little too much for it to just be by accident.

Fidgeting with the hem of his shirt, Sage looked up when the bell on the door chimed and a guy in a black trench coat entered. Wary of anyone that came in with big jackets, David's attention was diverted to him. Sage found his own eyes trailing him as he went to the back of the store for a drink.

Dark brown hair hid his eyes and all that could be seen under the trench coach was the thick black combat boots. His steps were heavy and Sage couldn't help but hear them as the sound of a clock ticking. It made his palms sweat and his heart beat a little faster.

Looking up, Sage met pure black eyes. There was no whites, no iris, no pupil. Just black. Sage flenched and stumbled back against David who looked down at him like he was insane. Blinking, Sage looked back at the guy who wore a smirk and regular onyx eyes.

Sage didn't realize the guy was gone until the bell on the door broke him from his trance.

"What was that about?" David asked, laying a hand on Sage's shoulder as if to stop his trembling.

"N-nothing...just tired."

That was their last costumer and David locked up the shop and took Sage into the back.

Standing from the hard floor, Sage used the tissues on the desk to clean his hand. His mind was still distracted by what he thought he had seen so when the hand gripped him through his jeans, Sage jumped in surprise.

"I have time tonight." David smirked, his fingers trailing to Sage's zipper as he lowered it slowly.

Like any teenager that knew the pleasure of a blow job, Sage had let the older man go down on him plenty of times and he would have tonight too if he didn't get a weird feeling about it. He always felt like it was wrong but tonight it felt worse. Like someone was watching and judging him. He'd dealt with it while he finished his job but receiving wasn't apart of their deal so Sage had no excuse to justify it.

"I, um, I need to get home." Sage rushed, gripping him jeans before they could be tugged down. David looked him over but Sage couldn't find it in himself to meet the man's eyes.

"Alright." David backed up and Sage fixed himself before saying a quick goodnight and leaving out the back door.

Standing in the dark ally, Sage's eyes darted around, every shadow morphing into the shape of a looming beast preparing to attack. Crossing his arms over his chest, Sage looked down at the cracked pavement and scattered trash as he walked. Maybe he should have stayed or asked for a ride.

The only thing that cleared his mind of the fear induced by what he thought he'd seen, was the thought of golden eyes. Like thick honey that poured over the parts of his brain that was still scared and calmed him with their warmth. Sage thought of those eyes until he made it home and sent a silent thanks to Brandon and his pretty eyes.

_______________________________

🖤