11 - When enough is enough

"I can still hear you saying, you would never break the chain."

"Well, hello to you too, stranger." Eve's tone is already disapproving which is not a good sign given I need her support right now. "I haven't heard from you in days."

I roll onto my stomach on the bed and sigh. "I know, I suck - I'm sorry." I can practically hear her rolling her eyes at the other end of the phone and it strikes me ironic that I'm treating Eve exactly how Harry has treated me. I really do suck. "I need your advice and you only have about two to five minutes to give it to me." 

Eve snorts. "Huh?" There's silence and then she seems to click that I'm not messing around. "Juniper, what the hell have you gotten yourself into this time?" 

She makes it sound like I'm some rebellious teen and we both know I was never one of those. 

"I'm in a bit of a situation." I mumble. I'm not even sure what I think Eve might be able to do to help. I only know that any minute from now, Harry is going to come back in and we're going to have to address the Sweet Creature situation and then sleep in the same room. 

"Should I be worried?" She asks quickly. "Are you at home?"

"Uh, I'm in Sydney actually." 

Silence again. 

"What the hell are you doing in Sydney?"

We're wasting precious time with all these pointless questions and I can feel the impatience bubbling on my lips. I can't blame her though, thinking about it, the last time I saw her would have been days before the concert and I'm pretty sure she thought that was a joke when I told her I was attending.   

"Look, Eve," I almost snap. "Here's the thing. I'm in Harry Styles' hotel room. I haven't spoken to him in eight years, he wrote a song about me and he's going to be sleeping on the sofa."

It's a broken sentence. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever and it's not even remotely chronological. I hear Eve's sharp intake of breath and I can imagine her right now; removing her thick-framed glasses to reveal the eyes bulging behind them. I know for a fact she'd get straight in her car and drive to my house if I were local. Mind you, I wouldn't put it past her to drive straight to Sydney either.  

"You're where?!" Her tone is incredulous and I know I should be a little more in-depth, but the clock in my brain is counting down to Harry's return like an impending explosion. "Juniper, what the fuck?"

My lower lip wobbles. "He was my penpal, Eve. He stopped writing back and then he wrote a song about me." I can hear her muttering to herself in disbelief. "I'm running out of time here and I promise I'll explain everything but he's going to be back soon and we're going to talk but I'm worried I've made a terrible mistake." 

The silence at the other end of the phone is practically burning my ear drums. A part of me is actually wondering what on earth I contacted Eve for. She's clearly just as clueless about this as I am.

"I literally don't know what to say." Neither do I, to be honest, but that wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear. "Look, Juniper, if it's reassurance you're after then let me tell you something." I grip the doona cover with my free hand. This must be the lengthiest t-shirt exchange of all time, but I for one am grateful. "You're one of the most level-headed, determined people I know, ok? I can't decide if this is some drunken babble or if you're genuinely where you say you are, but either way, whatever it is - get it sorted. And if he can't see how ripper you are then screw 'im." 

Something rattles on the other side of the door handle and I watch, almost in slow motion, as it's pushed down. My time is up. This is it.  

"I have to go. I love you, bye!"