Chapter 1 - "Just Marinette"

Ladybug and Chat Noir have been a team for as long as akumas have terrorized Paris. Adults respect them and kids adore them, to the point that the heroes are constantly in the public eye. Everyone wants to know everything: their fashion choices, their hobbies, and their love lives. But the one thing that never escapes the pair's lips are their true identities; the ones hidden behind the masks. No one knows who Ladybug and Chat Noir really are, not even each other.

~ ~ ~

Marinette sits on her balcony, deep in thought about her clothing designs. She got home not even an hour ago from fighting off the newest akuma victim trying to turn all the people of Paris into individual balls of light. She had to give Hawk Moth some points for creativity there, but that's all she would give him.
Seeing her partner Chat being nearly overtaken by killer sun beams gave her some poorly timed inspiration for a pantsuit she'd been trying to hash out. Marinette decides to sketch a black suit that gradually turns a pale yellow the closer you get to the right shoulder. It gives the permanent appearance of leaving work on a sunny afternoon. She decides that the idea's alright and sets it aside for the time being.

"You're really good, you know." Says a voice behind her. She instinctively turns around prepared for a fight before seeing Chat Noir perched on her chimney.

"Chat! You can't sneak up on me like that!" Marinette groans, relaxing the tension in her muscles, "What are you doing here anyway?"

"Somebody doesn't look happy to see me," he smirks, "I was in the neighborhood, thought I'd pop in."

"No kidding. Did Ladybug break your heart again or...?" She trails off.
'I think I would know if "she" did.' She laughs to herself.

"Not this time," he replies cheerfully, "we actually just fought off an akuma, so that was pretty cool."

An almost-awkward silence falls on the two. A thought crosses Marinette's mind, "Chat? Why do you love Ladybug if you don't even know who she is?"

His face appears surprised before he looks off into the distance, seemingly trying to come up with a good answer.
"I guess..." he begins, "Well, I guess it's because of her heart."

"Her heart?"

"Yeah. I know it's cheesy," Chat smiles, "But, no matter who's underneath the mask, I've never met someone who genuinely cares more about other people than they do themselves. Wait, scratch that." He glances over at Marinette again. "I have met someone like that besides her."

"You have?"

"Mhm. She once offered her shoulder to cry on when Ladybug stood me up."

"Oh." Was her simple reply. She furrows her brows, "Why aren't you in love with me, then?" She fakes a serious face before bursting out laughing.

Chat joins in, "Haha, very funny," he hides his slightly blushing face and says, "Cause you're... you know. You're just Marinette."

She whips her head towards him, mouth agape, "Just Marinette?"

"You know what I mean."

"Hm, no, I don't think I do. You're gonna have to explain it to me."

He can hear the sarcasm in her words. And, although Chat can tell she's just joking, he's worried that deep down he actually hurt Mari.
"Hey, there's nothing wrong with being 'just Marinette.'" He puts his hand on her shoulder, "Anyone, including me, would give anything to be as amazing as you are."

"Yeah, I wa-I was kidding with you." She looks down. "Anyways, I am just Marinette."

Nothing could shake the thought that this is one of the reasons she couldn't tell Chat Noir about who she really is. The news would only be met with disappointment.

Chat lets his hand slide off her shoulder. "I do care about you, you know?" He says, trying to break the silence, "You're one of the best friends anyone could ask for."

"That's what everyone says about me, even Ad–" She corrects herself, "The guy I'm pretty much in love with."

"Well, to heck with that guy," Chat laughs, "He must be blind. Besides, you've got me. No matter where you are - if you need anything - I'll always find you." He gives Marinette a wink paired with a silly grin.

"How comforting," She says sarcastically, "But still much appreciated."

They sit in silence for a few more minutes before Chat speaks up, "I guess I'll get going. Thanks for keeping me company."

"No problem. See you later?" She asks.

"Promise." He gives her a quick kiss on the hand before vaulting away.

'Thank goodness he can't see my face right now, I would never hear the end of
it.' Marinette thinks, holding her red cheeks in her hands.

Adrien finds a nice secluded rooftop to sit on and think.
'So what if I wasn't completely truthful to Mari? Not liking her is impossible. But I love My Lady... there's no honor in deserting those feelings for someone else.' He sits in silence until the sun dips beneath the horizon, then makes his way home.

~ ~ ~

Hey guys, thanks for beginning this book! If you didn't see it in the description, here's your reminder that a new chapter is published every Monday 12-5pm EST, so be sure to check in every week.
If you like what you've read so far, be sure to follow, vote, and comment!