Chapter 16 - "A Bad Dream"

Marinette needed to be brought in for surgery, which took a few hours. Her injuries included a few broken ribs, a slight concussion, and a torn large intestine. Not to mention the obvious gaping hole in her side which made her lose a nearly deadly amount of blood.
The doctors had told Adrien that she was very lucky Chat Noir got to her when he did.

~ ~ ~

Everybody has questions, and the only person who can answer any of them is still unconscious.
The Dupain-Chengs finally arrive after their daughter's surgery. They bring with them a complete whirlwind of emotion: fear for Marinette's health, but relief that she's alive.
They both tearfully embrace Adrien, apologizing for ever casting doubt on him. He was the one, after all, "Chat Noir" had trusted to handle everything.

He can't provide an explanation outside of an akuma attack; but what kind of akuma kidnaps a girl and tortures her for hours on end? And why was she in his house of all places?
There probably isn't much he'll be able to say to police without casting suspicion on himself once again, because the evidence really does pile up against him when he looks at it.
The alibi of being in the police station at the time is the only thing that could possibly help his case.

"Mr. and Mrs. Dupain-Cheng?" A nurse holding a clipboard walks out into the lobby.

Tom and Sabine both get out of their seats at the same time and head to the woman, desperate for any news.

The nurse continues, "Your daughter is stable -but still unconscious - if you'd like to see her briefly."

Her parents and Adrien all let out a sigh of relief, the couple following the nurse to a room in the back. Sabine turns back while walking and waves her hand at Adrien to follow them.
He quickly stands up and jogs after them, desperate to see Marinette.

He feels his back pocket, the lump of the Ladybug Miraculous still there. Finally, Tikki will be able to go home.

~ ~ ~

It's dark in her room, the covers that are up to her chin much too hot. She kicks them off and tries to go back to sleep, but a quiet crying from the corner of her loft keeps her wide awake.

"Hello?" She sits up in bed, trying to find the source of the noise.

"Marinette." A voice softly says from that general direction. Adrien appears from out of the dark and crawls into bed with her.

"Adrien? Are... are you okay?" She asks.

"I just missed you is all." He buries his face in her shoulder and she all of a sudden feels his body shake with sobs.

"Hey, it's okay, I'm back now. I won't leave you again."
She gently lays them both back down on her pillow and runs her fingers through his hair to comfort him, her nightgown obviously getting stained by tears.

"Promise?" His voice is all of a sudden calm and low, causing Marinette to look at him again. In Adrien's place is her partner, Chat Noir.

"I promise."

"Good," Chat sits up slowly, leaning on his hand, "Cause I couldn't live without you, Bugaboo." He cups her cheek in his clawed hand and kisses her softly. He goes to move away, but Marinette grasps the back of his neck, guiding him on top of her for another kiss.

'What am I doing?' She thinks, but she doesn't stop... She doesn't want to stop.

Chat intertwines the two of their hands above Marinette's head and guides his other hand down her side, almost like he's trying to memorize her outline. His kisses start trailing down her neck, but slowly become painful.