Chapter 5 - "Why Now?!"

"I don't know, it just didn't make any sense to me," Marinette laughs, "Why would it end with all of them turning into monsters? Like, that had nothing to do with the story."

Adrien nods his head, "I think we both can agree that it was a stupid movie, but I liked watching it with you."

Something had clicked between the two of them that evening. With their nerves gone, all that was left was their normal selves.

"Yeah," She tucks a strand of hair behind her ear, "Ditto."
They've stopped outside the movie theater, hardly aware that they've been staring at each other in lovestruck silence.

"You know," Marinette says, breaking her eye contact, "I'm going to have to walk home barefoot: I cannot stand going another step in these heels."

"I can give you a piggyback ride, if you want."

The girl gestures to her dress and smirks, "I'm not so sure that's gonna work."

"Plan B, then," Adrien lifts Marinette up princess style, being careful to hold her dress, "Princess carry for the princess."

She blushes and lets out a nervous
laugh, "Whatever you say, Sir Dorkus."

'Has she always been this cute? I'm such an idiot for not noticing,' Adrien thinks, 'Maybe it's the sarcasm.'
Marinette gives him an endearing eye roll.
'Definitely the sarcasm...'

He keeps walking, his date's head resting perfectly in the crook of his neck. They finally arrive at the bakery and Adrien gently puts Marinette back on the ground. She keeps her hand on his shoulder, still a little off balance from the night. (And the heels.)

"This is your stop, princess," He says.

"I could get used to that name."

"It's all yours, if you want it," He moves his hand to the small of her back, inching her closer.

"I just might want it, yeah," She responds.

Adrien's other hand unconsciously finds the girl's cheek and caresses her face. Marinette leans into his warm touch, her eyes automatically closing.

"Marinette?"

"Hm?" She hums in response.

"Can-" He hesitates, "Can I kiss you?"

In spite of her effort to appear unalarmed, her eyes shoot back open, and her face turns as red as her dress.
'Is this really happening?' She asks herself, 'Did Adrien Agreste really just ask if he could kiss me? Stay calm, stay calm.'
She could see him waiting for her permission, yet she couldn't understand why she was hesitating. This should be a simple answer: yes, yes, kiss me senseless, gosh dang it.
'Mental note not to say that out loud...' She thinks.
"Uhh, Mari?" Adrien starts shifting uncomfortably, "You don't have to say yes, I understand."

"No-I mean yes... I mean 'no, it's a yes.' Yes." She says finally.

The boy smiles so bright, it could compete with the sun. Then, he takes his time, slowly drawing her closer than she thought she could get. Adrien traces her face like a cat about to pounce on its prey, but gracefully moves his hand so his fingertips are in her hair and his palm along her jaw. She inches her face closer so that they're centimeters away and she can feel his breath mingle with hers.
Just as Marinette closes her eyes to make their lips meet, she hears a blood-curdling scream from down the street. She and her date snap out of their trance and automatically take fighting stances.
'Why now?! WHY NOW?!' They both think at the same time.

"Th-thanks for the movie," Marinette says in a rush, "Can we do it again sometime?"

"Uh yeah, of course."

Marinette runs inside the bakery and up to her vacant room. She lets Tikki out of her purse.

"Let's go, Marinette! It sounds like another akuma," her kwami says.

"I couldn't have it... just this once?" The girl asks, close to sobbing.

"You're Ladybug, it's what you do."

"What if it's not what I want to do?!" She yells.

"Mar-" Tikki lets out a whimper, "Don't say things like that. We need to help the people of Paris."

Marinette wipes away a stray tear, "Fine. But
I-I just don't know what to do," She looks down and says quietly, "Tikki, spots on."