Chapter 33 - "Yesterday"

Six Months Later

  Marinette sits down in her usual spot for Ms. Bustier's class; the seat in front of her empty. She stares at it with her typical wandering thoughts and daydreams, but everything always leads back to that one fateful week that still sends shivers down her spine. She tries to shut off her brain until the lesson starts.

Since she returned home, everybody has treated Marinette kind of like a baby bird, as if something they say or do could break her fragile bones. They're not completely far from the truth: even though her body was healed by the Miraculous Wish, it didn't heal her mind, and she still has vivid flashbacks and panic attacks at times. In a way, she appreciates Chloé for never treating her any differently. It's business as usual in her mind.

"Hey, girl," Alya takes the seat next to Marinette, "How's it going this morning?" She gestures towards her head.

"It's, um, alright. No nightmares during the night, which was good."

"I should think not." Alya gives her a smirk.

"What's that supposed to mean?" 

"Oh don't act-"

"Okay class, please take your seats!" Ms. Bustier announces.

Marinette looks at the empty seat in front of her again and Alya puts her hand on the girl's shoulder.

"Roll call! Agreste, Ad-"

"HERE!" Adrien comes busting through the door of the classroom, "Sorry I'm late, I was doing... stuff."

Alya leans over to Marinette and whispers, "Is 'Stuff' your nickname?" Which earns her a firm smack on the shoulder.

"That's okay, Adrien," Ms. Bustier says, "Just don't come barging in next time. Please take your seat."

He jogs over to his spot and gives Marinette a wink before turning around and sitting down.
She immediately pulls her phone from her purse and texts him under the table.

Marinette
You didn't have to stay that far behind. Was there an akuma on the way that I didn't know about?

She hears a small ping from Adrien's phone and he quietly takes it out of his bag.

Adrien
Not quite. Unless you count irreparable bedhead as a super villain.

Marinette giggles.

Marinette
Well, the view isn't too bad from back here. 😉

"Dupain-Cheng, Marinette?" Ms. Bustier calls.

"Here!"

Adrien
Thanks, I just did squats yesterday. 😏

Marinette
Shut up. You know what I meant.

She shuts off her phone for the time being and tries to focus on the lesson, but it's hard to while being reminded about all that happened the previous night.

~ ~ ~

Yesterday

"Pound it!" The two superheroes bump fists after another successful day.

It's been a few months since Adrien finally got back on his feet, as he wasn't lucky enough to have the same type of recovery as Marinette did. (That meant Marinette coming to physical therapy appointments every week for moral support.) The process was slow, but they got through it together, just like they did everything else.