Part Fifteen

I waited at the door around 7. I knew she would pull up any minute, or at least send me a text or call. I didn't know they put an new restaurant up by the boutiques. I remembered there were a few stores to buy or rent before I went missing, so I guess someone finally bought one, or rented it. Brown's must have been a newer restaurant opening, considering I had not heard of it before. But I'm sure it's great. Hanna told me someone told her it was, and Hanna and I had the same taste when it came to fashion, boots and food.

Tonight would be a good night. I could already tell. What would be off about it? I was going to catch up with a friend and grab dinner. This would be nice. And to be honest I needed this. Lately I had been on edge, mostly because of him, so I really needed a night out. A night with a friend. I really hope it's not awkward again like it was this morning. But whatever, even if it is, it won't be when the night is over.

  But something was still gnawing at me. I was going out without my father, alone, with my friend. What if he's following me? What if I leave Hanna for like a split second and he starts to follow me, watch me and try to snag me again. What if.

  It seemed I was very jumpy between being scared and not wanting to be alone when I went out, and then I would change to not scared at all. One day, I would be alright with walking outside, around the block or so, and the next I wouldn't even think to do something that risky. It all seemed to change from one day to another. And this night, I was definitely scared to go out. But a police car will be with us the whole time. So I should be fine. One of those cars out there always follows me wherever I go. Don't worry Jayc. Just worry about having fun tonight. Don't think about all the other bad stuff. Just relax and breathe. Just breath, and you will be fine.

*Beep**Beep*

  A car horn went off outside, as I lifted the curtain away from the window and saw Hanna's car in our driveway. I quickly let the curtain fall back into its place as I grabbed my bag and headed for the door.

"Alright, see you later Dad! Hanna's here!" I yelled at him from the stairs below as I heard stirring around coming from above.

"Wait a minute!" he yelled before hobbling down the stairs and coming to the front. "How long are you going to be?" he asked as he peered outside to where Hanna's white car was, and then one of the police vehicles that was about to leave behind us.

"I don't know. A few hours? I'll text you when we are finished," I assured him before grabbing the handle and turning it open. My father kissed the top of my head before I headed down our front path.

"Make sure she gives you a ride home. And if she can't, make sure the police officer can who will be right around you guys," my father yelled in a quieter tone after me as I waved at him once more.

"Alright. Got it Dad. See you later."

"Have fun!" he shouted back at me in a happier tone before I shut the car door behind me and the car began to pull away from our house with the police car trailing us.

  The restaurant wasn't that far considering it was only about a five minute walk towards the old antique shop, which was located right beside it.

Hanna's car was rather neat inside, which made sense. When we were younger, she was always such a neat freak. Everything had to be spotlessly clean. She would often panic or go nuts when my room was a mess, which was not often. She would mostly clean my room for me, which I joked at. 'Why have a maid or clean your room yourself when you got a best friend who will do it for you?' It looked as if she vacuumed out her car every week, the windows were spotless like I imagined and the seats looked as if new. As I looked and admired her new car to me, I peered down at her keys which were in the ignition. And a small heart pendent with two pictures on it caught my eye. It struck to my memory as I thought back to when I gave that to her. It was a birthday present the year I disappeared, in which I inserted two pictures of us together. The set came with two, and I kept one for myself, as it still hung on my key chain as well.