Chapter 7: Fire and Glass

Grade on my English Essay from Mrs. Calhoun: B

Comments on my English Essay from Mrs. Calhoun: 'Solid writing skills, but did not appreciate hints of sarcasm, long build-up, skewed focus, or weak conclusion.

Nora, your piece gave me some concerns. I have spoken to Mr. Perrow, our school counselor, to have a session with you. Please visit him ASAP to confirm timing.'

Bitch.

Brian feels for me over my English essay. The next day at lunch, he's shaking his head at what Mrs. Calhoun wrote. "That's ... I don't even know what word to use."

"It's stupid, is what it is."

"Oh, come on. You've got 'solid writing skills'. You can think of a better one than that."

"Inane."

"Yeah, I like that." He sets the paper back down. "You OK?"

"No. I hate my life."

"We all do."

I pause, wondering for a minute what kind of problems my cousin has in relation to mine. Personally, he always seemed fine to me. He's got both his parents, a pair of brothers, a nice house. He's nothing special in the looks department, but he's smart and sporty, and I don't think he's ever caused trouble anywhere in his life. Not like me. I'm a regular violin-wrecking, female-bully-attracting Sullivan. Why would I need counselling?

I start stuffing the paper back in my file, crumpling it a little. I think of Brooke Martinez and her two friends, remembering what she said about them. Raised rent. Dead mom and brother.

' ... What do you think that's like, Miss Sullivan?'

Honestly, I don't know. I can't even imagine, other than the part about my own mother.

"So have you gone to see him?" Brian is talking in my ear.

"What? Who?"

"Perrow."

"No."

"When do you think you'll do it?"

"Um, never?"

"But didn't she – "

"She can't make me go."

"I suppose that's true, but .... "

"Brain?"

"What?"

"Does your dad ever say anything to you about ... my dad?"

He cocks a brow. "Uh, like what?"

"I don't know. Stuff. Anything. Anything that he does, or whatever."

"Shouldn't you know that better than him? You know they don't see each other much."

"Yeah, but still."

"Still what?"

"Nothing. It's just that ... well, I mean, I'm just me, you know? I know my dad's supposed to be this icon and all, but I don't feel all that. He doesn't tell me anything. I don't know what he does, and I don't know what goes on with him. I'm ignorant."

"You're still bothered about that? Brooke didn't know what she was talking about."

"No, she's right. I mean, how can my father be someone so influential, someone who's changed so many people's lives, and I be such a lump of nothing?"

"You're not nothing. You're smart and you're pretty and you're going to be someone, someday. We're only high school kids, for God's sake."

I don't know what to say.