Chapter 48: Change Of Heart

Maggie calls me late in the morning. I don't want to pick up at first, but Pia points out that she might keep calling if I don't, plus I might be able to find out from her how things are with my crazy father.

"Hi, Maggie," I greet, my voice coming out in a lazy drag.

"Hey, Nora. I haven't heard from you in a while. I thought I'd better check in on you."

"I'm fine, thanks. What's up with you? Everything OK over there?"

"Yeah. Your dad's doing a little better, especially after he talked to Wes."

My heart seems to jerk and sputter, like some failing engine, but I fight to look cool in front of Pia. "Oh. When did that happen?"

"Yesterday. He came down to the office and they had a long talk."

"So he's back."

"Yeah."

"And they're OK, working together again and everything?"

"Working? No, he didn't come back to work."

"What?"

"Wes and your dad sorted things out between them, but he's not working for your dad anymore."

"But that's impossible. He said he was going to ask for his old job back."

"Did he? Hmm. Maybe he did but Danny said no. Although I don't think that's possible. He's having a hard time adjusting without the guy."

"Maggie, are you sure about this? Are you really sure Wes didn't come back to work?"

"Yes, Nora. Trust me."

She always says that. But can I, when I'm a Watcher?

"Your dad's worried about you, you know," she tells me.

"He is?"

"Yeah. We both are. Wes told him you were OK, but he's still not happy."

"I miss the house, but I don't want to see him again. Ever."

"Nora."

"If he asks, tell him I'll come back when I'm ready."

"What about school? You only have a few days left."

"It'll be fine. I can get whatever I need."

"You can't keep this up forever."

"No, but I'll do it as long as I can."

"You don't have to."

"Sorry, Maggie, I need to hang up."

I can hear her sighing even as I turn the phone off. I sit, unmoving for a moment, before I come to a decision. "I, uh, think I need to go and see Wes."

Pia nods. "You want me with you or - ?"

"No. Thanks but I need to talk to him alone."

"Alright. Good luck," she says, with a knowing smile.

After a quick check on my reflection, I grab some things and walk out of the apartment. It's my first time outside since I came to stay with Pia, and I feel eager and impatient. It's noisy and alive out on the street, with music from stores, smoke from cars, sausage smells and people in a million moving photographs. I take my time ambling to my Mercedes, not caring about cops or Watchers or anybody. How did I let things become so complicated that I couldn't even go out for so long?

I slip into my car, thinking to myself that it feels like something that's been dormant for a long time, something that needs to be woken up and stretched. OK. Start the engine, pull out. What now? Twilight Apartments. That's right. I know where that is.