Chapter 50: Manipulation

I finally come home that week. Maggie hugs me, but I don't say much, and she gets the hint that I don't feel like talking. I brought back all my stuff from Pia's, and spend some time putting it all back. I spot Skunky by my pillow, and give him a thumbs-up.

Later that night, someone knocks on the door. "Nora?" The voice is male. "Can I … talk to you?"

I calmly go over, stepping outside. My father stares at me, looking, for once, a little uncertain. Maggie is in front of the TV, but she stops to smile at us.

"You're back," he states the obvious.

"Yeah."

"So …. "

"So?"

"Is there anything you want to tell me?"

"I think Wes explained everything."

"Yes. But I wanted to hear it in your own words."

"Whatever Wes said, you can trust him."

"Hmm." He pauses, becoming more thoughtful. "So you're sorry for what you did?"

"Yup."

"I don't suppose you know what happened to – "

"No. Sorry, Dad."

He doesn't answer right away. "OK. Well. This is where you should be."

"I know."

"But, Nora?"

"Hmm."

"Don't ever interfere in my business again."

I stare at him. He starts to walk away, but I speak up before I can chicken out and miss my chance. "Dad?"

"What?"

"There is one thing I need to tell you."

"Oh? What's that?"

"You were wrong about Michael."

He tenses. So does Maggie. She lowers the volume quickly.

"What are you talking about?" he asks, his gaze intent.

"I mean, he's not the one."

"Of course, he's the one."

"Are you sure? Are you really sure?"

He wavers. He knows Michael never actually confessed.

"It was somebody else, Dad, and I found out who."

"Who?"

I lean over, whispering the name. He stops then, gray eyes wide. "Nora. How did you … ?"

"Just trust me. Get the new chief to check it out."

Maggie's mouth is open an inch. She looks at my father, waiting to see what he'll do. Believe me, or brush me aside?

Suddenly, he's moving. He's across the room. He's got his cell phone out. "Doherty?"

I've got him. Take that, Maggie.