Chapter 8: Monday Blues

Ah, Monday. Don't you just love Mondays? Two days away from my mother's death-day, and it's kind of a nice day, chilly, leaf-swirling, crisp to the taste. I feel snug sitting in the comfort of classes, until I get to the end of English and Mrs. Calhoun calls me over. I trudge to her desk while everyone gets to escape.

"Nora, do you remember the last essay you did?"

"Uh ... yeah, vaguely."

"Do you remember what I wrote on it?"

I pause to feign thinking, then shrug. "Sorry, no, not really."

"I asked you to go and talk to Mr. Perrow. Have you done it yet?"

"Um, no."

"Why not?"

"I've just been kind of .... I forgot."

"You should go, Nora. It's important."

"OK. I will."

"Today?"

"OK."

She nods. "OK."

"Can I – ?" I cock a thumb out the door.

"Yes. But go and see him."

"Mmhmm."

But of course, that's not my tune once I'm out of her class. The nerve. Who does she think she is anyway, to try and get me to do things I have no wish of doing?

A figure walking along next to me pulls me out of my thoughts. I tilt my head, and at the same time, so does she – Pia. "Oh," she goes, blinking widely. "Hey, Nora."

"Hey."

She looks me up and down, as if checking for bruises, a limp, some sign of a supposed bash-down by Brooke Martinez. "How's it going?"

"OK."

"Really? So ... Brooke never got to you, huh?"

"We had a talk, but she kept her hands off."

"Really?"

Nod, nod.

"Wow. That's amazing. So you somehow managed to get on her good side?"

"Well, I just tried to keep from pissing her off, which probably helped." I glance down the noisy hall towards the cafeteria, where we're both heading. Neither of us has anyone else to walk with, and it seems that we've just fallen into step with each other.

"So where's your friend?"

"Who?"

"That guy. The one with the bluey eyes."

"Oh, Brain. I mean, Brian."

"Brian."

"Yeah. He's my cousin."

"Really? I wouldn't have guessed. Are you two close?"

"Eh, kinda. We don't, like, see each other outside of school or anything. But he's OK."

"Yeah, he's a nice guy. Gentleman."

Gentleman? I chuckle to myself. "Do you want to talk to him? You can come over to our table if you like."

"Oh, no, that's OK. I've already got a table."

"Right, I know."

"Maybe another time, though."

"Sure."

"Say hi to him for me."

Later, Brian listens patiently as I recount my conversation with Pia. "I think she likes you," I end off.

"No, she doesn't."

"She called you a gentleman."

"And that means she likes me?"

"It means you've got a chance."

He laughs. "Let it go, Nora. It's no big deal."

I stare dully at him for a moment, before another idea comes to me. "Hey, you know what Wednesday is?"

"Deadline for my history paper?"

"No. My mom's death-day."

His face immediately blackens, his eyes rolling about. "Oh God, that again."

"I don't suppose you would want to ...?"

"No."

I deflate a little.

"No offence, N. I just think it's kind of morbid. Plus I didn't really know her."

"You're still flesh and blood."

"No, not technically. I'm flesh and blood to your father."

And what a great achievement that is. I try to bargain, "Not even to the cemetery?"

He begins to look uncomfortable. More than he already is, I mean.

"Forget it. Fine, you're off the hook."

"OK. Thanks. Sorry, N."

"It's OK." It isn't really, but I still have to say it.