Chapter 43: Contact

It's no surprise that I'm the first one up in the morning. I fell asleep before Pia, and long before Wes settled the sleeping arrangement with the Lazziri boys. With Pia's parents out at work, that leaves no adult in the house right now other than Wes.

Slithering out from Pia's bed, my head feels heavy. The sun is roaring in, hurling its brightness, though it doesn't seem to bother Pia, spread out peacefully on the blue quilt. I shuffle across the floor, doing a slow exploration of her dressers and drawers. Her clothes are understated and few, and she only has four pairs of footwear – espadrilles, heels, flip-flops and gym shoes. Though they're not my style, I filch the slippers, which are yellow and have a bushy-haired schoolgirl on them. Her clothes are harder. I finally decide on an oversized off-shoulder top, white with pictures of chains, and clingy leggings that look – and turn out to be – warm.

After a shower of burning-hot water and almond shampoo, I gaze at myself in a mirror hanging on the door of Pia's closet. I actually look OK, and I feel better too. I flick my damp hair back, making it flat and smooth. My stomach presses in on itself, hollow. Time to eat.

I head outside on my own, half-expecting to see Nico and Marc still at the Playstation, eyes glazed like kids on crack. But only Wes is there, dead asleep on the couch. So he got it after all. I wonder if Mrs. Lazziri finally gave in to him or if he just crawled out there in the middle of the night. I leave him alone, veering off into the kitchen where I distract myself with granola bars, peanut butter, and very sour, very concentrated cranberry juice.

"That's my mom's," Pia's voice wafts up a few minutes later, while I'm pouring.

"Huh?"

"Yeah. She said it's supposed to be good for the bladder."

"Ew. Pia, why did you just tell me that?"

"Sorry. But hey, you never know. It might be useful to you someday."

"I sure hope not."

She clears her throat, dropping some bread in the toaster. "I just called your cousin. He's on the way."

"You mean he's awake?"

"Once I called."

I can't help giggling at that. I lift my cup to my lips, only to pause when I hear a weird buzzing sound coming from somewhere. Pia stops too. "What's that?"

"I don't know."

She points at the living room, and I move to check it out. I follow the sound all the way to the stitchy couch, where Wes is sleeping on his stomach, a cushion over his head. It's his cell phone on the floor, vibrating like crazy. I take a look – Dan.

I stare for a while, and when the silent ringing stops, I check the phone. Missed calls from Dan: twenty-one. Hmm. I wonder what he would say if Wes actually did pick up. Make threats? Scream? Beg?

Pia pops her head out of the kitchen, noticing the phone. "Something wrong?"

"It was my dad."

"Oh."

"He's been calling since last night." I return to the kitchen, the both of us sitting together. "But he's not the only one I'm worried about."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, I have to figure out what to do about Michael."

"Oh, right."

"I need to find a way to get those two to leave each other alone."

"Maybe Michael needs to move."

"Move?"

"Yeah, somewhere your dad won't be able to find him."