WHEN THE DOORBELL RINGS AT NIGHT

The door bell ringing at 3:17 in the morning was not only startling, but downright scary for Nicole Brennan. She lived alone in an old, small, two story house and was not expecting anyone at that hour. Who does at 3:17 in the morning? She shut here eyes, thinking it may be just a dream, or the drunk person at the door was trying to find his house, and will soon go away. The bell did not ring again, and Nicole fell back asleep. DING-DONG! The bell sounded at 3:48 am, followed by a pounding on the door, sounding like thunder echoing through the small house. Nicole sat up in bed, eye's wide, heart racing.

She got out of bed and stepped into a pair of slippers that were on the floor next to the bed. Nicole started to shake and was chilled yet sweating due to the stress. She was made even more cold as she was wearing just a light tank top and some men's cotton boxer shorts as pajamas she commandeered from her long time boyfriend Tanner.
Nicole's shaking hands reached onto her messy floor, finally able to feel a gray hoody sweatshirt. She slipped on the sweatshirt and walked slowly down the stairs.

The stairs creaked with each step, as most of everything in the old house was original. Once at the front door she turned on the porch light and looked out of the peep hole in the door. Seeing nothing outside she figured it was some drunk trying to find his way home and due to his intoxication, had the wrong house. She calmed down a bit not seeing anyone or anything outside. Just to make sure, Nicole decided to check her front yard and walked away from the open door, giving a quick look to the front grass and behind the large Sycamore tree in the front yard. She tensed up as she heard a sudden noise. She looked to the street, and noticed the wind caused a few fallen leaves to dance down the sidewalk, making noise as they scraped against the concrete. "Darn wind!" Finding nothing, she let out a big sigh of air, turned around, and walked back in the house, closing and locking the door behind her.

"I knew it was nothing. I hope the person found the right house," she said as she entered her kitchen. Nicole poured herself a glass of orange juice. She sat at the kitchen table thinking of the morning. She took a sip then smiled, thinking of the nice breakfast she would cook for Tanner when he came over, then spend the day with him hiking. Nicole walked to the sink and washed out her now empty glass and placed it back in the cabinet. As she reached up to place the glass, she thought she heard something. She placed the glass on the shelf and remained still, just listening. She heard nothing and thought, "Relax, houses creek. Especially old ones." She started walking to the staircase and heard the sound of a single thump against an upstairs wall. "Oh that cat must know I'm up and wants some treats," she whispered. She walked upstairs to the laundry room where her cat is fed and given treats. "Buster! Buster kitty!" Nicole did not see her cat there. "Hmm?" she thought to herself. "That's odd." She walked into her bedroom, closed the door behind her, and saw Buster laying on her bed. She smiled and said, "Did you make noise jumping on my bed?" Nicole pulled her door closed behind her, kicked off her slippers, and laid back in her bed, pulling the covers over her. The cat laid next to her and they both fell asleep.

About twenty minutes later the sound of a door creaking could be heard. It sounded like a door being opened slowly, with creaking the entire time. "Now that I'm not imagining!" Nicole whispered to herself. She threw off the covers and the cat ran under the bed. She went to step into her slippers but discovered they weren't there.

She looked at her bedroom door and her heart started beating out of control as she realized the door she heard was her own bedroom door, now wide open.

"Oh my God!" she exclaimed as she put her hand in front of her mouth completely trembling. She quickly sprung out of bed, keeping her focus on the doorway. She walked to the doorway cautiously and held on to the door frame as she looked both ways down the hall. Seeing nothing, she walked towards the stairs and then froze. Her head turned to the right as she saw another bedroom door slowly close. She ran down the stairs and headed to the front door. She let out a scream as she saw the two doorknobs of the double door had been chained together, trapping her inside. Her attention was drawn to the top of the stairs where she saw the silhouette of a man. Nicole shook violently, her skin showed goosebumps as she started to shiver with coldness. Her eyes stared at a very tall but slender man wearing all black, and he began to walk down the stairs, each step slow, deliberate. "Leave me alone!" Nicole shouted at the man as she ran to the kitchen and opened the side door that leads to the garage.