LIKE A TRAIN WRECK

Night had fallen quickly on this cold, February evening. The road was dimly lit by the above street-lights, casting an orange hue on the lanes. "When are we going to be home, mommy?" asked seven year old Brett to his mother. "Soon, Brett. Remember, we don't live too far from the store, and we left there about four minutes ago. We'll be home soon and then I'll make dinner," replied mother Stacey "Mommy, can I have seconds of your secret mac n' cheese dish?" asked a smiling Brett, who absolutely loved Stacey's home cooking. Stacey glanced at Brett with a smile. "Well, you've done your homework already and cleaned out the drains on the patio, so if you finish your chicken and veggies, of course you can. I love you, Brett." "I love you too, Mommy."

As the mother and son approached Sterns Street, the road curved just after crossing the railroad tracks. The sound of approaching, screeching tires could be heard as a car traveling in the opposite direction drifted to the left of the center double yellow line. The impact was like a bomb exploding. It sounded like a train wreck. All Stacey could do is reach over and hold her suddenly deceased son's hand right before she passed away as well.

The collision on that cold February night was not only devastating for Brett, Stacey, and husband Luke, but for the other driver's family who lost their teenage daughter due to a moment of looking down at her cell phone to call her boyfriend. She did not have a hands free device, but decided to make the call anyway. At her funeral, a tearful, devastated father blew his nose and whispered to a friend, "That phone call could have been made once she got home, one minute away from the crash site! One minute!"

Luke, the once loving family man, who had always enjoyed camping with his family, going on hikes, and working on his model railroad with Brett, was now living only half alive.

Luke felt a hole in his heart, and a pain in his stomach daily for several months after losing his wife and son. He was almost dead inside, unable to feel any of life's joys. He explained to his therapist, "My dreams, goals, and plans for the future, gone." Luke tried his best to live his life, trying to move forward from his tragically torn life, but it was a struggle. Seeking counseling was a bit helpful. He worked for the railroad as a track maintenance supervisor. Luke had a life long love of trains, and knew he had to be in that industry from an early age. Luke would operate daily his detailed set up of electric trains that takes up a whole spare bedroom that he and Brett built together. One evening he mustered up a smile, as he remembered how Brett would place little plastic farm animals in the fenced in farm the train would pass, as well as placing buildings and fake shrubs onto the realistic display. "Oh, those were the days," Luke said as he shook his head. Luke's smile suddenly faded, and tears started their usual path down his face.

Two rough years had painfully passed by for Luke. He focused on work which helped to a point. Unfortunately, as supervisor, he had to deliver some discipline from time to time, and one of Luke's employees had an issue. This employee was routinely late and had been warned several times of the importance of arriving to work on time. The employee's name was Joe Hanson, an employee of only nine months who didn't have

his heart into the job. He didn't have the lifelong love of trains that Luke and most other employees of the company shared. Today was the day Luke and his immediate manager would advise Joe that unless he had a legitimate sudden emergency, his tardiness would not be tolerated and he would be let go.

Luke and his manager had the counseling meeting with Joe, delivering a stern warning. The manager said, "Look Joe, we don't want to let you, or anyone else go, but you have to realize we are paying you to do a job, and you can't do that job if you're late or not even here." After the meeting Joe stood up from his chair, took a moment to squint his eyes as he glared at Luke and the manager, then walked quickly out of the room, punching the water cooler as he exited the building.The manager leaned over to Luke and softly said, "Keep a close eye on that guy. He very well may not be the right fit for us."

Less than two weeks later, Luke and his crew were working on replacing loose spikes that held the wooden railroad ties down. It was hard work and the crew felt it. One worker asked Luke, "Weren't we going to have more help than this?"
Luke wiped sweat from his forehead with a bandana. "Yeah, we were. Blake called in sick with the flu, and I haven't heard from Joe."

"Well, thanks for doing the work with us, Luke. We appreciate you being right here, doing the physical work with us."
"Of course! We're a team."

Luke continued working alongside his crew, hammering spikes, replacing old ones, sweating. As Luke and the crew worked on the curved section of track, that dreaded area where the collision happened two years earlier, his heart grew heavy, and that familiar pain in his stomach returned. Luke's best friend, Connor approached Luke and patted him on the back. "Luke, I know this area is not easy for you to be at, but thanks for helping the team." Luke hugged Connor and said, "Thanks, Connor. You're a good friend." Luke was able to turn his stoic face into a slight smile.

Joe finally showed up at the job site, about an hour and ten minutes late. "Joe, I need to talk to you over by my truck," said Luke in a firm, supervisory tone. Once at the truck, Luke let out a deep breath then asked, "So, why were you late today, Joe?" Joe hesitated a moment then responded, "First I had to g to the post office to ship a package, and the line was longer than I thought. Then I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things so I wouldn't have to go after work when I would be tired." Joe shook his head. "Joe, besides Blake who has the flu, your tardiness left us very short handed and the rest of the guys, your friends, were forced to do your work due to you not being here. I have been right with them working hard trying to make up for the lack of personnel. Joe, this happens way too frequently, and I'm afraid I have to suspend you. You have to realize there are consequences to your actions. You put the team in a terrible place."

There was a pause in the air as it was obvious Joe's gears were turning in his head, searching for just the right response. Joe looked at the ground then back up at Luke

with an angry face, including his usual squinting eyes. He yelled, "I had things to do!" as he took both hands and shoved Joe in the chest, knocking the much smaller man backwards. "That's it! Joe, you're fired! Get on outta here! We will send you your last paycheck." Joe's face became angrier and he charged in towards Luke, yelling, "Now I've got nothing to lose." Luke sidestepped to the right and Joe's momentum took him to the ground on his face. Joe rolled over onto his back and used his left foot to sweep Luke's legs out from under him. Luke fell to the ground hard and immediately grabbed his right knee in pain. Luke hobbled up and limped away towards his men. He shouted, "Guys! Help!"

The group of four men ran over to Luke, but not before Joe rushed in from behind and grabbed Luke around his waist. Joe threw Luke to the ground, causing him to end up on his back with his upper body on the track. Luke winced in pain as he tried to stand up but the pain in his knee was too intense, causing his leg to collapse. Luke's inability to put weight on his injured knee caused him to fall back down on the track. Employee Frank yelled, "Eastbound train coming! Get out of there Luke!" The men rushed to Luke's aid but before they could reach him, the fast approaching train came barreling down the tracks. The last they saw of Luke was the sight of him painfully standing up, and hobbling towards the other side of the track to reach safety. The employee's vision was suddenly blocked by the passing train, leaving them not knowing if Luke was able to jump completely free of the tracks on the other side.

It seemed to take forever, but finally the train's caboose passed by, and there he was, standing along the track on the other side. All the employee's except for Joe crossed the tracks, happy to see their friend and supervisor. All the employees approached Luke with big smiles on their faces, and Connor reached out to shake Luke's hand. To everyone's surprise including Luke, Connor's hand went right through Luke's. Although shocked, Connor pat Luke on the back, but again, he could not feel Luke. Connor's hand traveled right thru Luke's body. Luke suddenly realized he did not get off the tracks in time, passing away in the same location his family did. He looked upon Conner's face as a tear dripped slowly from Connor's right eye. Luke turned around and his expressionless face quickly turned to a huge smile and his soul felt very warm, very loved.

Standing alongside the tracks in front of Luke were his wife Stacey and son Brett, holding hands, smiling. His wife and son reached with outstretched hands to help Luke complete the transition to the other side. The three family members hugged, just like they did so frequently in life. Luke looked at Connor, smiled, and nodded, as if letting his friend know he is okay. The three family members waived goodbye to Connor and the rest of the workers before turning and walking alongside the tracks. After about twenty feet, the family gradually faded, disappearing out of sight, and into eternity, together.