ONE MOMENT IN TIME

"Daddy, are you going to work today?" asked curious, five year old girl Courtney. Mike Schiffer walked to the kitchen table, joining his wife Jenna, and daughter Courtney. "Of course sweetheart," Mike said right before he took a bite of buttered toast with grape jelly. "It's only Thursday, sweetie." Courtney smirked and put her head down. "Okay daddy." Courtney loved her dad, and wanted to maximize their time together. Mike finished his coffee, stood up, and walked to a kitchen drawer to grab his keys. After picking the keys from the drawer, Mike turned around, facing the table. "Courtney, now listen to mommy and be a good girl, and when I come home we'll have taco night!" Courtney smiled wide and her eyebrows raised. "Yay, taco night!" Mike walked up to Jenna, giving her a kiss on the lips and a hug. Mike said, "I love you." Jenna smiled. "I love you too, honey!" Mike kissed Courtney on the forehead. "I love you Courtney!" Courtney got up from the table and hugged her father's leg, squeezing tightly just above his knee, as that was the hugging zone for Courtney's little five year old height. "I love you, too daddy." Mike hugged her back, and kissed her on top of the head.

Jenna smiled at the warm interaction between Courtney and Mike. Jenna and Courtney waived to Mike as he walked out the door. After about four-seconds, Mike reappeared back in the house. "Courtney, I have some good news, besides it being taco night!" Courtney ran up to her father, hugging Mike above the knee again. "What is it, daddy? What? What?" Mike smiled as he put each hand to the sides of Courtney's shoulders. "I was finally able to get that time off so we can plan the Disneyland trip!" Courtney jumped up and down smiling. "Yay! I love Minnie Mouse." Mike smiled, turned, and walked towards the door. As Mike reached for the doorknob, he was almost knocked down by the power of Courtney's second hug within one minute. It was an adorable moment, Courtney hugging her father while wearing her favorite Minnie Mouse shirt. Courtney has been very patient in waiting for a trip to her beloved Disneyland. Mike turned. "Okay honey, daddy has to go now. See ya later for taco night."

Mike finally made it to his car.

Mike drove down the street, starting the short eight minute drive to work. Meanwhile, seventeen year old Madison was driving her car, a ten year old compact car her parents bought for her to drive to her senior year of high school. Madison was accompanied by a friend in the right front seat Beth, and in the back seat, Kaitlyn.

The girls were talking and laughing, as they did throughout much of their day in addition to focusing on social media and boys. A familiar buzzing sound was barely heard. It was a text from Madison's boyfriend Devon, who texted that he misses her and to hurry

up and get to school. "Oh my God, Madison!" remarked Kaitlyn from the back seat, continuing, "I think this is love girl!" Madison replied with a very large smile of excitement, "I know, right?" Madison picked up her phone and texted back to Devon, "I'm almost th..." Madison could not finish the text. While looking away, texting while driving, she failed to observe the stop sign at the intersection. The front of her vehicle violently slammed into the side of a car that was lawfully in the intersection, as that vehicle did not have a stop sign. The two cars spun around while connected, coming to rest amongst broken glass, plastic, and a lot of metal pushed in on both cars. Unfortunately for the innocent car, the driver took the hit broadside, directly in the driver's door.

After the cars stopped moving and the dust settled, you could see an arm hanging out of the broken out driver's side window of the innocent vehicle. Attached to the arm was a hand that had blood on it. The early morning sun shown on the hand, revealing the shine of a gold wedding ring. Not only was the deceased driver married, he had future plans. He had plans on enjoying tacos with his wife and young daughter tonight. He had plans on taking a long awaited trip to Disneyland, sharing fun times with his family, bringing great joy to his daughter, a huge fan of Minnie Mouse.