Zombie Girl III. Shards of memories

You moped about the past in the stone tunnel located in the abandoned play park doing as any human minded undead person would do. It was all you did nowadays, all you could do, as there was no way across the wall to reach civilisation. You once loved to crawl into the tunnel and hide from your closest friend, Zack. The handsome ravenette boy that would have butterflies fluttering around your stomach at a glance.

You hadn't a clue what happened to him when the day when the infection went crazy.

Throughout the long time you had wondered the streets never had you spotted Zack's walking corpse, which was a good thing right? A tiny spark of hope was ignited within your hollow chest where your heart should have been. 

Your ears perked up as droplets of rain fell to the ground softly. One after another they started to get rougher and louder. Your breath hitched in your throat. Although you were a mindless killing machine (half mindless let's say) you still had your fears, and one of them was, thunder and lightning...

The rain crashed down and the thunder boomed overhead. Lightning flashed in a split second indenting itself within your mind. You cowered within the tunnel like a squirrel. Your bloodied hands covered your ears in an attempt to block out the sound. Your quivering knees were brought tightly to your chest. You then realised that the tunnel wasn't doing anything but making the noise louder by creating echoes. Almost as if a light bulb appeared above your head, an idea came to mind. There was in fact a place you could go where the weather wouldn't affect you so. So you scrambled out of the little tunnel and ran. Ran straight to the place you had been, before the infection was even created. 

Your grave.

The team was finally gathered in one place to go through the operation plans, escape plans, medical plans, other plans...and so on. Reno was not happy at all with the selected SOLDIERs but there was nothing he could do about it, unless he wanted to consult Rufus ShinRa...He'd rather take the first option.

  "What do you mean 'go into the infected zone'!? There's no way in but the main gate and that's surrounded by the infected!" Zack exclaimed. The others nodded in agreement raising Reno's anger levels up a notch.

"I was just getting to that point idiot!" Reno hissed making Zack cower into the corner. "As you're well aware of the point that going through the main gate is not an option, there is in fact an underground passage that leads to the other side of the city entirely. If there wasn't, Rufus would not have even thought of this mission in the first place." Reno informed the group. "As I said earlier, the point of this mission is to capture at least 10 infected and bring them to the asylum for experimentation. This will enhance cure efforts greatly. We will not be going in on foot obviously."

  "And if one of us is bitten?" asked Lightning as she sent her narrowed gaze over to the redhead. Reno flinched at her menacing glare but decided to counter with, "We either kill you, leave you there or bring you to the asylum as one of the 10 infected," Lightning scowled at the arrogant red head and gritted her teeth. "So now that we know the basis of the mission are we ready to go?" 

There were a few reluctant nods and some quiet yeses. Reno scanned the small crowd one last time to be sure no one was missing. Nodding in approval to his partner the two turks led the way out to the truck that was stationed beneath the ShinRa building, underground. Let it begin.

All the talk of the undead, tragedies and people to save brought a horrid sick feeling in Zack's gut. On top of that the rain and thunder he heard outside brought memories back as he followed the group down below the ShinRa building.

You reached your grave marker quicker than anticipated, the adrenaline from the fear driving you to run quicker and that slightly unnerved you. Was the undead part of your mind taking over more and more each day? Changing and altering your body? Giving you beast like strength and cheeter like speed. You shook the feeling off.

You pulled up the earth and opened your coffin that lay snug in the ground. It was quite ironic, a zombie such as yourself going back to sleep in her coffin, well you were doing it for two reasons. To get away from the weather, and to stop yourself from hunting...at night.

You climbed in and pulled the huge block of mud which was layered with grass back over you coffin. It immediately grew dark and cold. Supressing a shiver you slid the lid of your coffin over your head, allowing slumber to wrap you up in a nightmarish embrace. You wanted to do all you could to stop yourself killing the innocent people who still wondered around the infected zone trying desperately to survive. 

You let your dreams of the past envelope you as you closed your eyes. You weren't sure if going to sleep actually even stopped your animalistic hunger, but it was always worth a try. 

~ ~ ~

The lightning clapped and pierced above, striking terror within you. You trembled next to Zack in a small ball as the lightning thundered on. 

"Shhh, its ok (Name). Its just a bit of bad weather," Zack's attempt to calm you was in vain as you continued to shake next to him. "Hey," he called out softly tilting your chin up so you could meet his cyan blues with your (e/c) ones. "I'll protect you. No matter what, nothingbad will happen to you as long as I'm around. OK?" His words seemed to work like magic and you felt your nerves calm down.

~ ~ ~

Blood... There was so much blood. It seeped through your hands and stained your white hospital gown red.

~~~ 

 The team of SOLDIERS had driven through the pitch black tunnel and through many high security gates to get to the infected zone. It almost seemed as if they had suddenly stepped into a completely different world. Ash fell like snow, a mess of vehicles and bodies littered the roads, and the blood. Oh the blood! There was so much of it, dry and damp. Rivers of it either from recent or old victims it didn't matter. The fact was that the zombies had picked up paint brushes and painted their city red.

Zack struggled to keep the vomit down it throat. Not only was the sight of it stomach hurling but the smell. Reno almost thought about going back just for a gas mask. 

"Alright, this is where it begins. We'll team up in pairs. Catch one undead at a time." Reno said looking to each pair of eyes.

"With what though? They're undead. We can't just knock them out, fling them over our shoulders and bring them to the truck," Lightning glared once again at Reno. Hope answered instead this time.

  "Don't worry about that we've created enough of these bullets for eighty undead. These are special. They act like tranquilisers, only they're for the undead especially," Hope explained as he gave them out.

"We'll pack up at dawn, whether or not we've captured ten, more or less. We will leave, understood?" Reno asked as he looked over to where Rude was placing up barriers around the truck. The team saluted and sorted out the pairs themselves. Zack went with Angeal, Hope with Lightning and Genesis with Noel. Reno and Rude stayed behind with the truck to keep in contact with ShinRa if anything went wrong. 

Something was tugging at Reno's mind though. Something that made his gut fill with a hint of worry. Zombies were attracted to sound and heat. From all the noise and traffic in the safe part of the city everyone expected the undead to be clawing and biting at the wall that separated them, and there wasn't a walking corpse in sight. So where were they?

 ~☆☽☆~

Hey again! So what did you think? OOhh I wonder where all the zombies are hahaha. Well obviously I do know but you have to wait and find out. Confused about the memories yet? The paragraphs in italics were meant to be shards so just small flashbecks basically hence the chapter title. So I hope you enjoyed it and I'll update as soon as I can! One more thing. I don't feel as if I've explained it enough...So please say if there's something you don't understand. :) Black-RoseAlice