New Girl In Town

Jenna Coleman as Sierra Ferrind!
--------
"I don't understand how getting a party invitation to some wanna-be hooker's house, is remotely 'dream' worthy." Reece rolled his eyes as he trudged over to his locker, almost heading to the wrong one if Eddie didn't slowly pull the boy to the opposite direction.

"Hooker? That's a little harsh," Eddie said. "It's a 'dream' because Mikayla was the one you asked, and you didn't get laughed at, slapped in the face or interrogated about how much your parents earn. On your first day!"

Reece quickly unlocked the padlock on the handle of the metal door and stuffed his books into it, cringing at how messy it looked but he didn't really have the heart nor the spirit to do anything about it. Not at this time anyway. The only books left in his bag were the ones for Geography.

Apparently, it was a common practice in the school to give students an insane amount of homework during the last period. Assholes.

After zipping his worn out brown bag and almost ripping the fabric in the process, Reece shut the locker and faced Eddie. "Look, I don't understand what the problem is-"

"There's no problem!" Eddie clarified, tilting his head to the side.

"Then why are you making a big deal out of it?"

"Because!" He threw his hands up in exasperation. "It is supposed to be a big deal! But you're acting like it's not."

Reece raised an eyebrow. "So what? Should I write an acceptance speech? It's not exactly an Oscar, y'know."

"Well yeah but it's just...it's weird," Eddie said curtly.

"Aren't you popular? I thought rich kids were always like that."

"Then that would be the only reason I'm popular. My money. Do you think I want that?"

Reece shrugged, "Maybe?"

Eddie shook his head. "You're unbelievable."

---

Most people couldn't wait to get home after school. But Reece didn't have that luxury yet.

After 6 long hours of school, the boy walked to the place where Halley worked, Beanz & Co. The local café famous for its delicious waffles that probably increased the rate of diabetes in this town, Bellmaire, by 10%.

Halley was a waitress there and though the café was quite far from both of their homes, she had asked that they both had to suffer a mile-and-a-half walk to meet up there. Well, maybe asked was a little too kind. Reece could've called an Uber, but the thought of spending money was a bit of a nightmare to him.

After almost half an hour- since Reece had the walking pace equal to an 80-year-old lady with back problems apparently- the cafe could be seen.

It just looked like a plain rectangular box, the walls were painted in shades of peach and it looked a bit awkward besides the green forests. It was the only building along the road so the place was always a bit quiet.

The smoky smell of roasted pecans filled his nose as soon as Reece opened the door, along with the sickly sweet scent of cheap honey. Nobody really complained about that, they just pretend that it was maple syrup. The door dinged softly as he swung it open.